1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it feasible?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by AMUNC, Jul 25, 2012.

1. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    My grandfather is moving down, and he is a master wood worker. I would really like to build an EUB, though I have never done so before. I would get plans, and he would do most of the woodworking, whereas I would direct. Is it possible for me to expect a working instrument out of such an endeavor? Or must I be some master luthier to do such a thing.

I do however know what I'm doing around upright and electric basses, I've been playing and gigging for years, mainly upright.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

2. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Go for it !! The best way (although not always the cheapest) to learn is by doing.

3. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Well thanks for the inspiration! Either way, does anyone have or know of any plans I can use? Or do you usually make your own? I'm going for the whole NS or ergo design.

4. Good luck, Adam. I'll be interested in watching your progress, via occasional pics, I hope. I just finished my first EUB, but it is an electric upright guitarrĂ³n (so really an EUG) so I did not have to deal with a fingerboard that is both curved and scooped. I had it easy by comparison. Made my own plans, of course. But I don't have the tools or skill to make a full-sized upright double bass fingerboard, so I'll be interested in your success. Best of good fortune to you. (Don't forget the running pics!)

5. Hi.

Feasible moneywise?

Well, not likely.

Feasible in ways people usually measure quality of life?

Definitely yes.

I don't know of any EUB plans, but if You buy the first FB (as I'd suggest You to do), the rest kinda pops into place when you're sketching, "building" the rest of the plan around the FB.

A word of warning though.
    People seldom build just one instrument, the hobby is highly addictive and leads to wood GAS and tool GAS :).

Regards
    Sam

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Adam:

If you guys are serious, load Grandpa Jed up in the truck and come on over to Asheville for a visit to the shop some afternoon and I'll walk the two of you through what it will take.

I built my first guitar at age 13, played it in a band for the next four years, and then sold it for $450- an amazing sum at the time...:)

7. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    James,
    I was actually considering going to you when buying my first DB and when I was looking at a new guitar! I did not realize that you were on this site. I'll most definitely have to talk to you.