1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it just me that loves treble?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JKambing, Oct 3, 2008.

1. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    I hope this is an appropriate place to post this..

I've been playing bass for about a year now, and I've realised something about the tone that I prefer. I really, really like a treble boost. My small Peavey practice amp has bass levels set between 7 and 8, mids set at 8, and highs set to 9 (maximum being 10 for each). On top of this, the tone knob of my precision bass is usually rolled off towards highs. The result is this very trebly "growl", yet a sound that sounds rather "clean" due to the bass cut, that I simply love hearing no matter what song I play. Best of all, it cuts through the mix when I go jamming, and, in my opinion, sounds great for the songs I play (rock and metal in general, but leaning towards the classic and not-so-heavy stuff). Furthermore, I play with low action and often the sound of the flat wound strings crashing against the frets (like Mr Steve Harris' playing) sound great to me.

Am I nuts or something? It would be comforting to know if there are other bassists like me, because.. I don't know. I feel like its weird that I enjoy so much treble as compared to most bassists? I know I shouldn't care so much.. But still.. Any of you TB'ers like the treble? :meh:

2. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    I love that tone also. I just got a TRB-10004 Yamaha. It is very bright but has the 3 knob boost-cut very easy tone changes.
    I love Geddy and that Rush sound. He now uses the Fender but used a Rick for many years. I always read with his Rick which has the stereo outputs, he ran one out clean and the other dirty.
    For treble lovers a Rickenbacker is the gold standard. I went with the Yami because it has more tone shaping options. But I would still love a Rick. A song that has that treble sound I love is the Pink Floyd song "One of these days" off the Meddle album.
    Rock on!:bassist:

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes you're nuts.

Someday you'll have an epiphany and discover where bass really lives. That event will likely evolve around different gear and more in depth experience with genre's of music.

4. RUSTYHOOK100

RUSTYHOOK100

Jul 17, 2008
    dude then you should check out RANCID cause matt freeman loves his treble too and is also a great bassist

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Then again, Geddy has said he went back to his Jazz because he just wasn't getting enough low end out of his other basses... :bag:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

7. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Hahaha. I see most people so far have negative sentiments towards treble. I'll pretend I didn't start this thread or something. Heh. :rollno:

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My tastes have changed over the years. Years ago I liked a bright clanky grindy tone, but more recently I've toned down the overdrive and zing and focused more in the mids and low-mids. I don't like mud, though... I still need clarity and punch in the higher frequencies.

9. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Chris Squier, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee....yea your not the only one.
    Ive been told in several bands to stop sounding like a guitar and sound like a Bass, and trust me I can get down and deep and grove....but when I put on the 8 string....well all bets are off!!!!

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I love treble, mids, and bass ... they are all necessary!

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I am accused of not knowing what a bass is supposed to sound like by my band mates for similar tastes.

Matt Freeman, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Tim C... those are the grinding tones I'm after, at least in this point in my musical life.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Well... Yes! :)
    It all depends how much treble you have in your sound. Cut off all the treble in the EQ, and the sound will suck. I rarely actaully boost the trebles, but they have their place. After all, why do bass amps have tweeters? ;)

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm one of those older bass players who started on upright, and whose electric bass idols emphasized the bass end of the sound spectrum and rolled of the highs. I find too much treble both painful and aesthetically objectionable; the sound of a lot of slapping, popping and fret clatter feel like someone is assaulting my ears with an ice pick. Not intended as a slam, just my POV.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    And I'm one of those young dudes who feels exactly the same way.

I mean, it's not called treble guitar... :ninja: