1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it OK to keep an ABG on a stand ?.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Solofunkyjazz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    Silly question time.

I'm a new owner of a rather nice Wechter acoustic, is it OK to keep it on astand with my electrics ?, or should I keep it in its case, are they more susceptable to humidty etc.

I live in the UK, so we don't get extremes of temperature, it tends to go from cold to cool.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know about the humidity and all, but I've kept my upright on a stand for about 10 years, and it seems okay. I think it's always better to case your instruments when not in use; but I rarely do. I have a 5-instrument stand that I always keep several basses and a couple guitars on. On the other hand, one of my guitar players ALWAYS keeps his guitars in cases while not in use. Personally, I opt for convenience.

3. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    +1 on opting for convenience. I keep all my instruments on stands, including my ABG, mainly because my setup is in a corner of the house behind a sofa where it's usually just me back there, so the odds of something happening to one of my babies are slim to none. But at the end of the day, it's all up to you.

4. I wouldn't, especially if your Wechter is one of the handmade solid wood instruments. My Earthwood, which is 33 years old, lives in its' gig bag with a Dampit humidifier for company and is in great shape.