1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by AMUNC, Jul 24, 2012.

1. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I am changing from spiro's to wound guts, so I am going to use my adjusters to raise my action. Whenever I've changed strings previously, I've always done one at a time to avoid a moving bridge, or a soundpost disaster.

My question is how should I go about moving my adjusters? Should I leave a string on? Should I keep some kind of pressure in the top so the sound post stays in place?
    Thanks,
    Adam

Ps. I have no problem putting the bridge back in its place, I'm mainly worried about my sound post falling.

2. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I would leave at least a string or two in place to keep the sound post from falling.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Put your new strings on. If you want to raise them and you want to loosen them by a half or a whole step,you can tune them down a half step or so first. i don't. I usually just adjust and then retune. You'll get the best feel for where you want them by trying them at one height, then raising both a half turn at a time until they're where you like them. As always, YMMV.