1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it tacky/bad form...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sixgunn, May 23, 2019.

1. Absolutely! Can't make the scene, if y'aint got the green

156 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. No! If you're worthy of a tip, it'll overflow by it's self.

45 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Just mention the band carrots and call it a day

15 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    To "point out" the band's tip jar/box at gigs?

Our singer seems to think it is but to me, it often goes unnoticed. To be honest, when I see a band at clubs or bars, I generally don't think about it (I know, shame on me). I do it in a humorous way but she'd very against it.

What say you, TB?

portpc likes this.
  2. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Having a tip jar usually means you’re not otherwise getting paid (or not being paid that much).
    So, not out of line to mention—once—during or at end of a gig.
    Just don’t count the money in front of the crowd...

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    mexicant, Ed Bloom, Remoman and 5 others like this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Are the tips supplemental to your performance fee?

4. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Yep.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If the venue has a cover charge it is 100% tacky, imho.

If you are getting paid, but the audience had free entry, it is a greyer zone.

6. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I agree about the cover charge. Our gigs are no cover venues.

RiffwRiter and Dabndug like this.
  7. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Tip jars are ok....asking for tips....not so much IMHO

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If the band accepts requests from the audience its ok to let them know about a tip bucket

Something like, “folks, we do have a tip jar on stage so if there’s anything you’d like to hear, feel free to ask and we’ll se what we can do..”

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, visit Nashville sometime. Those guys/gals are pros at getting tips without being jerks about it.

I think there's no problem at all with asking for them. Why have it if you're not gonna mention it?

Either that or make the jar much more obvious. Perhaps lime green and hit it with a black light.

But if you're not going to mention it, don't put one out.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you are already getting paid, don't ask for tips, but make the jar visible. One of my friends has a huge bucket with battery operated LED's that flashes "TACO FUND." I've seen another that says "Child Support."

11. My rule of thumb is ' if I'm wondering if something is tacky/out of line/bad form - then it probably is'. That being said - on a no cover gig, a tip jar is certainly acceptable - and you can find funny ways to mention it without sounding like a numbnutz.

DaDo625, RiffwRiter, JRA and 6 others like this.
  12. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    We use them all the time at non-cover venues, Never mention it, Do however keep it where it can be seen and not too close to the band so folks have it accessible.

Usually prime it with a few bucks I borrow from the drummer so it looks relevant, He usually forgets (as he's a drummer..) and I come out ahead..

13. Ours says “MUSIC LESSONS”

DrThumpenstein, BOOG, grinx and 21 others like this.
  14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I would be more inclined to tip if it said this or anything other than “tips.”

RiffwRiter, BigBatch, ThePez and 6 others like this.
  15. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Ladies and Gentlemen I'd like to take a moment to introduce the band. We have Janis on lead vocals. Jimi is on guitar. John on drums. Me on bass. And we can't forget the most important member of the band, Phil. Phil the tip jar.

Totally acceptable at bar gigs with no cover charge.

SoCal80s, TexasHeat, grinx and 16 others like this.
  16. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Ours is labeled "Freebird"

17. moon-bass

moon-bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Here in New Orleans it's standard. More often than not the band will point out the tip jar and in many cases will have someone walk around the room with the tip jar soliciting $$$. I have seen creative asks, but around here it's a given in most places.

Nevada Pete, Dabndug, Ghook and 4 others like this.
  18. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Putting a tip jar out IS asking for tips.

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I personally don't like/prefer mentioning tips during a performance. Placing a tip jar somewhere in view is good enough. You would be annoyed if a waiter told you "by the way, I'm expecting a tip from you for my service". IMO, money should not be mentioned during a performance as it takes the fun away, but that's just me.

BwanaDust likes this.
  20. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    If there is no cover I have no problem with it. We play a couple of places where we are paid a paltry sum and we put out a “karma jar” with the consent of the owner. We mention it once or twice during the evening, but we don’t make a big deal about it.