1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth buying this "Squier with upgrades"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CEJones, May 1, 2018.

1. CEJones

CEJones

Apr 30, 2018
    First time poster looking for some help. I'm looking for a pbass. This local guy is selling this Squier for $250 but I think I can talk him down to $210-220. He says that he's upgraded the pickguard, tuners (Wilkinson), pots, knobs, and "electricals". He says the only thing not new is the bass body, neck, and pickups.

The hang up I'm having is whether or not to grab it. I know I can get a VM squier jaguar for $250 but how would the hardware compare to this guy? Also I prefer passive to active pickups and I'll probably eventually change the ones on the bass I'm posting about. So all in all maybe $300 invested in this guy which is the price of the VM pj bass Squier. Not sure which to go for. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    If the neck isn't new, why no decal?

My vote is hard pass.

3. Run, don't walk, away. There are no markings on either side of the headstock to indicate this is a Squier. The strings aren't even inserted into the tuning pegs properly, and you're gonna trust this guy to upgrade "the electricals"?

4. donhank

donhank Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Denton, TX
    Based on the photographic evidence provided . . . seller is a weasel. Recommend abort.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No, no and NO.

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    +1...

7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    The only thing not new is “the most important things.”

The guy must have been embarrassed to play a squier. Based on his testimony we judge he is a liar.

Sounds like you want the VM. Nobody is going to give you much resale for that bass. If you decide you like it don’t offer more than salvage value: $100. He won’t take it and will try to sucker someone else.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Just walk away

Aqualung60 and Trouztrouz like this.
  9. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    F9BF0FAE-54AB-49D8-AD57-58D0F19F8004.jpeg

10. I just saw a real Squier (granted it was Chinese) for a $125 in a local pawnshop that I'd buy before I bought what your guy is selling. Looking at the way the top tuner looks on the back of the headstock, I'd argue that the neck is bogus. I think the traditional Wilkies fit real close to the OEM Fenders, Squier or otherwise. In the pic it looks like the tuner is almost overhanging the headstock. I'd pass on this one.

Glazenn likes this.
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Not a Squier. Faker. Notice the weird body shape and how the pickguard doesn't follow the shape. I'd offer maybe 60 bucks

MonetBass and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I assumed it was an aftermarket PG and the bass has been painted otherwise you won’t find a bass in that colour. But.....who fakes a squier?

OnederTone likes this.
  13. Welcome to TB. As many others here have pointed out, this bass is of dubious pedigree. I would not buy it if I were you. You'd be better off buying a Jag and saving up in order to upgrade it at a later date, if need be. Hope this helps.

SactoBass and DrummerwStrings like this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Gotta love this! 2ljggtv.jpg

Uncle Hanky, ruju, jamro217 and 15 others like this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Thats a polished turd move on to something better, plenty of good deals out there on legit basses...

leto likes this.
  16. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I would argue that it’s not even polished. Hard pass.

f

Uncle Hanky, jamro217, leto and 2 others like this.
  17. oldspice

oldspice

Mar 4, 2018
    Iowa City, IA
    No. Just, no.

jamro217 and leto like this.
  18. CEJones

CEJones

Apr 30, 2018
    Thanks guys! Knew I joined this forum for a reason.

jamro217, grinx, jd56hawk and 3 others like this.
  19. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    That.....is a parts bass. Guitar fetish body.

P Bass Lightweight Body Seafoam Green Finish

Squier Affinity neck with labeling removed.

Wilkinson tuners which are awful.

Pass.....

Wilkinson tuners.....which are terrible. I bought the same set and had one that would slip all the time.

20. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I believe tubatodd nailed it. It appears it has been assembled from various low end parts.

ppiluk likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021