1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my neck twisted (a.k.a. forever shagged)?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SweetKetchup, Dec 4, 2016.

1. SweetKetchup

SweetKetchup

Nov 29, 2015
    Romania
    I didn't take any pictures because I don't know what to photograph exactly.

It all started when I switched from the stock rounds on my MIM Precision to D'Addario Chromes (flats). I tweaked the truss rod according to the Fender website specifications (using correct size Allen wrench and feeler gauge).

Then I lent my bass to a friend who needed a P for a gig and he said it sounds/feels great but the neck is twisted (?!). I didn't notice any buzz (except on the C on A string, but that's most likely due to a too high fret) so I never thought that would be possible.

I looked from the headstock down to the body and I did notice that the E and A side of the neck is a bit taller than the D-G side (like the neck is VERY slightly tilted to the left). Is that the twist? I also noticed big fret buzz on the E string after the 12th fret (but no buzz on A-D-G).

Does that mean that I have to replace the neck if I want to fix this problem? If I leave it as it is, would that grow to be a bigger problem in the future?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Don't be fooled by the nut when sighting down a neck. The nut is tapered shallower on the G-string side and that can look like the neck is twisted when it actually isn't. Besides, a slight twist is not significant, all else being equal.

Axstar, Lownote38 and sissy kathy like this.