1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is my rics neck bent???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hey guys i just got one more question bout my new ric... the neck itself is straight but right were the neck attaches to the body it seems to be lifting up at an angle. any ideas??? thanx alot:bassist:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Need pics to help describe what you are seeing.

3. k itl be up in a second

4. [​IMG]

its kinda a bad pic but you can see right at the end of the fretboard the neck raises. but the neck itself looks straight...???

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i honestly dont see it

6. dang i just cant capture it in a pic.. ill try again

7. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Maybe if you could take a side picture of the bass? Like leave the bass in that same position, but the camera facing the tuners, getting a shot of the whole neck.

8. I think he's talking about the bow near the headstock, which if that's the case is completely normal and not a problem.

9. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try shooting the same photo, but from the headstock instead of the bridge.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I don't see much except possible neck relief, wich is normal or even desirable.

11. [​IMG]

the bow seems to be right where the fretboard meets the body.. whatdya think???

12. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    Not sure, but it looks like it might have the same problem my Washburn 6-string acoustic has. Nice straight neck, except around the twelve fret on the treble side.

It's higher (frets aren't popping out, it's just how the neck is) in a span of about 2 or 3 frets, again just on one side.

I just don't play up that far as it basically frets out. Putting more bow in the neck or adjusting tailpiece higher to avoid buzz or fretting out puts the action up way too high for me.

I assume a luthier could compensate by filing down those frets, but I don't care that much about it; it's not a bass!

Not sure if that's what's going on with your Ric, but thought I'd throw this out there...

(Newest pic above doesn't tell me anything new. My post is a response to your first pic.)

13. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Is it causing problems for you playing? It could be just the pitch (I think that's the term) of the neck that Ric puts in.

14. sorry man i just cant capture it errrgh!!! i tried the suggested angles and its just not showing up... :mad:

15. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    No, rics your not neck bent.

(seriously, its hard to tell from photography unless the angles are really obvious. some neck relief is normal. if you're concerned, take it to a tech and have them check it out.)

16. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    In the last pic, the only thing I can see is that the action looks really high...

17. ... man i dont know what to do.... i dont know what to adjust to lower the action. the necks straight its just where it attaches to the body its lifting up. theres like white where the neck is jointed i dont know if its just not finished or its tension...

18. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Is the neck lifting up? Is it loose, or is it just angled that way? Is the fretboard separating from the neck? From the pictures it appears that nothing is wrong.

What kind of experience do you have setting up basses? A Ric is not a good bass to start trying to set up as the dual truss rods and bridge are a handful sometimes.

Dan

19. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    Relax man, you got a Ric! If it's what I suspect, messing with the trussrod or the bridge isn't going to have a positive effect. Take it to a tech as I doubt you'll get a good enough pic for a proper diagnosis, and besides, it doesn't sound like you have the tools or experience to actually do anything anyway.

I'm still jealous. I've always wanted a Ric.

20. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I see what your talking about,..the neck/fingerboard dips down at the very end where it joins the body. I don't believe that it is a problem, just how the bass is actually designed. I haven't owned a Ric in years, so I can't remember if mine was the same way. Bottom line, the dip occurs past where you would have any playability, so I wouldn't sweat it. Take it to a reputable luthier just to ease your mind though. No need worrying yourself to death over it.