Is Newsted a good bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Dec 11, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm in the car on my way to work and Metallica One comes on the radio. I dig Metallica, when One came out back in my drumming days I played it a lot because it was a great double bass work out for a beginner. Well my focus has swithed to bass in the last 14 months and I have not even heard that song in years. Well I started listening to it in my car and I could not hear the bass at all! I read on TB that they turned him down in the mix but even working the EQ I could barely hear the bass. That's disgusting! How could the egos get in the way soooo much that they hurt thier own recording mix? I mean it was so bad was there a bass in the song? I'm sure there is but the guitars and Lar's jacked up drums drown everything out. Poor Newsted... I would quit too! I know there has been countless Cliff vs Newsted threads but seriuosly I couldn't really tell. How or why would anyone turn the bass down?
  2. I wouldn't be able to tell you if he's a good player because I've never heard any of his lines. I would have quit that band asap.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    the first flotsam and jetsam album (doomsday for the deciever) he rips it up. he's a little sloppy but good none the less. all the Metallica albums since Cliff have had no audible bass at all. Headphones don't even fix that.

It serves Metallica right the new album bombed. Shame on them.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I personally don't think he could hold a candle to Cliff, but who can? He was an amazing bassist. I think Newsted is a good bassist, solid, powerful sound, and you CAN hear him in the mix on later albums with them, just not ....And Justice For All which pisses me off because I think it just sucks. But the man can play, no question there.
  5. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    I think a lot of it too had to do with Cliff Burton's death. From what i've read/saw, they put Jason through hell for years because of some sort of mourning thing. None of them could deal with his death at the time, and turning the new guy down was part of that. Plus Metallica was never a bass band anyway.
    As for the new album, I liked it. But most of the old school Metallica purists have been done with them for years and would rather hear Puppets. And most of the new school Metallica fans would rather hear hook laden three minute radio friendly jams that they've heard since '91 and the black album.
    I haven't read any of the Newsted vs. Burton threads, but anybody who picked Newsted is crazy.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just can't tell, I can't hear him! Was it that they were upset about Cliff as much as he was warshipped over the band after his death and they are making sure that doesn't happen again? Sure seems silly to punish you new bassist because you saddend over the death of your old one. Sounds more like an ego thing to me. How was the mix on Garage Days? I haven't heard it in a while.
  7. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Yes, Jason is a good bassist and a great guy.

I think the mix on ...and Justice for all was the main problem. I think Metallica were just trying to get a heavier(different)sound than Master Of Puppets, and it didn't work out in their favor.

They had a lot going for them when they hired Rob to fill Jason's shoes but they Screwed that up.........

Live and learn....Don't fix what isn't Broke!
  8. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    No I dont. Saw him in The Deepest End with the other bass gods and he was way out of his league.Check out this dvd and you be the judge

My 2 cents
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm going to have to, but his work with Ozzy was solid, jamming with Zakk, his new Voivod stuff is simple but very good and who can forget My Friend of Misery.
  10. This is exactly what James Hetfield said on MTV Rock Icon. He said that they always viewed Metallica as "Us three, AND Jason." They didn't want the new guy showing up, and showing them up. James and Kirk covered it by saying that if Jason was turned up anymore, he "swallowed" the bass end of their guitars......
  11. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Cover up is right! That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. I am by no means a sound guy but I at least know a good mix...
  12. Jason is a solid player. My Friend of Misery is one of my favoutite basslines although it is simple. I actually think you can hear much more bass on the albums jason did with metallica after justice than on the ones with cliff. Witch is a real shame since cliff is an awesome player.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Rob didn't play bass on St. Anger... the producer dude did. Bob Rock (?) I think. I think Rob will clean them up next time around.
  14. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Jason's bass can be heard very well on the Garage Days Re-Revisited EP.There's some good pick playing on that record.Yes,he is good.....
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Exactly what I was going to say!  [​IMG]
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I saw jason and andy hess split duties at a gov't mule show 2 years ago. IMO Jason is a fine bassist--not extraordinary. However, he does play/perform with Attitude which makes him a lot of fun

I've never listened to any Metallica w/ cliff or jason so I can't comment on that part
  18. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    from the very little of Jason that I've heard (I've heard everything he's played on, I just havent heard him playing on it..) he's good.
  19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I saw a Metallica DVD with some shows from the early 90's (thank God there was no St. Anger), and you could see that Newsted was definitely playing more than root doubles. Obviously Metallica's style requires a solid low end, but Newsted looked like he would have been adding a lot more to the music if anyone had actually been able to hear him.
  20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've seen some videos of Newsted's bass solos and I must say the man knows what he is doing. He's a solid bassist and if he wasn't any good Ozzy wouldn't hire him and he wouldn't be in Metallica in the first place which is kind of ironic because the bass is so inaudible that one can be forgiven for asking if Metallica actually has a bassist.