Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Stu hamm sloppy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Suckbird, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, he's been my favourite bassist since i watched his solo in san francisco but now when i watched his instructional video slap,pop and tap for bass he seemed pretty sloppy on some parts..

for example the peanuts, i have heard the piano version so i know how it's supposed to sound and to me it seems like stu hamm is messing up missing tones wrong rythm slowing down like he's thinking "what comes next" i mean, it's such a easy song even i can play it... i heard the same thing on his quahog's anyone recording too..

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i've heard he's a little drunk in that, but when it comes to a band situation, it'd be hard to find someone tighter.

he's joe satriani's bassist of choice because of how tight he is and how well he holds everything together without stepping on anyone's toes.

in the studio for one of his albums the recording process went: simple bass track, drums, normal bass/guitars. he was the tightest so he recorded what everyone else would play to, then deleted it.

3. Well, he always was Hamm-fisted. ;)

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    On the first Vai album he was simple and precise.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hmmmmm...I wish I was that sloppy ;)

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've at times thought Hamm was sloppy, and that Claypool gets sloppy. Then, when I stop to notice what they are playing at those times, its just the nature of doing something very complicated that really isn't meant to be conventionally played on bass, like the Snoopy theme. That tune was written and played on piano, and the bass is ill-equipped to copy it REALLY precisely. The fact that he did it at all is a feat.

I personally prefer to play rock solid, so I intentionally avoid unconventional riffing and such when playing with a band. But that's just my personal preference. If I'm playing at home, I'll wank and experiment, and of course some really, really cool and inventive things will inevitably be a bit sloppy by their nature on bass. Bless Hamm for throwing it out there for us, sloppy or not.

7. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Stu is a bit on his first album, but on Outbound he is very tight. It must be the drum machines.

Anyway, he was good enough for Satch.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My thoughts exactly. With any luck by the time I'm 60 I might be that bad ;)

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    On the Satch Live in San Fran DVD I have, the guy absolutely smokes. During each and every song, along with his amazing solo. Those of you that have seen it know- the very first chording thing he does before the "Moonlight Sonata" tapping solo... Wow. Those 30+ seconds are some of my favorite in all of bassdom!! :bassist:

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He *looks* like a slob, but IMO he's one of the tightest players I've heard. His sense of time on Satch's recordings is almost metronomic.

11. So are the instructional vids bad?

12. Hopefully you'll find out SOMETIME this week. :D
    The vids are great. Like others have said.....I wish I was that sloppy. :bassist:

13. Hahaha, me too:-D