1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is the 90's stingrays much like the classic stingrays today?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    ive been wondering that. ive been watching Davidsinrocks' bass videos and his 2-band stingray sounds absolutely amazing yet i wasnt much of a fan of the classic stingray tone.
    is there any difference on what they used in the 90's 2-band stingrays than on the classic stingrays??

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Consider that what you are liking is the combination of Stingray + whatever amp, cabs, strings, settings, and touch he is using.

Thank you KB.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The Stingray 4 has always had alnico magnets. As far as the early 90s model, like the classic, many have highly figured gloss birds-eye maple necks, and mute-style bridges. The Classics, have through body stringing and a rounder fretboard. Early 90s Rays were available with either two band (like the Classic) or three band eq.

As far as a specific example of Stingray tone, many things go into that: amp, strings, signal processing, and the player himself.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Thanks for the correction.

To the OP: For what it's worth, I think 2band Rays are just awesome.

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think there is confusion because the Stingray 5 has changed over the years from alnico to ceramic, and later back to alnico.