1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the NS Design "Traditional" model really that different from the regular basses?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jeremy Allen, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    OK Friends,
    I'm not putting this in the NS EUB megathread because...it's a megathread.
    My question: the "Traditional" model of the NS basses (CR4T, CR5T) is basically just a regular NS bass, without the magnetic pickups, with a higher bridge, different strings, and a brass button on the back of the neck to show where the heel would be on a DB. Yes? So the main difference is a question of setup + the brass button? So you could just take a regular NS bass and put DB strings on it and raise the action and you'd be there (without the brass button, which you could rig up on your own).
    Or are there other differences between the models as well?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    According to their website description, the EUB is a completely different instrument and has...

1. Multi-laminate bodies (27 layers of graphite and maple)
    2. Dual concentric neck, body and peghead.
    3. Graphite fingerboard standard (except for the CRM5G)
    4. Only available in 5 or 6 string
    5. Costs more

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/eubass.php

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Actually, I'm not talking about the difference between the EU Series EUB (formerly the US models), which you're referring to, and the CR Series EUB, but the difference between the CR series and the CRT series. So between
    the one here:
    http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/crbass.php

and the one here:
    http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/crtbass.php

I can see what the website says, but I'd love to hear from someone who's played both CR and CRT. Like, how different is the neck shape? And could you achieve the same effect as the CRT with a CR model, just by changing the setup?

4. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Sorry so late with a reply, hope youve found your answer already, but if not, let me say that there is a different sized bridge on the Trad that allows for a much higher setup than the other models. That being said, yes, you could put DAddario Hybrids on, $130 value, and raise the action as far as possible and with no button, trust the dots on the board to let you know where you are. And of course, no magnetics, which really arent needed if you play traditional style upright, the mags only give more of a fretless electric bass sound, which isnt what most of us are looking for in an EUB.

Randy Ward likes this.