1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is the problem my AMP or bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian699600, Apr 7, 2009.

1. brian699600

brian699600

Mar 26, 2009
    when i play my AMP makes crackle and pop noises when i move around. the noise gets worse when the tone knob is turned up

is my amp broke, or my bass?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    could be either, or your cable, or a low battery

i think

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I'd say cable. Borrow a nice one, and see if yours is crap. If it is, Buy a monster, they are completely worth it.

4. Safari

Safari

Feb 6, 2009
    Atlanta
    If it's when you move around it's most likely your cable or jacks. make sure your jacks are tight and clean and test the cable by whipping it lightly or wiggling it around a bit.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Were you by chance, eating Pringles when you played last?

6. silverburst

silverburst Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It might be both. I say head down to Guitar Center with a credit card and see what you can do.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Or cereal? Think "cereal" first.

8. take the cord out of your amp...turn on your amp slowly and see if you get any noise. turn off your amp then plug in your bass, turn it on and slowly increase the volume lightly touch were the cord goes into your bass to see if it crackles or pops. put your hands on the strings, if the noise goes away it could be a ground issue. try plugging your amp into another socket and buy another cord that is new for a back-up just in case.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for cords or jacks. Either end.

10. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. A cable is a cable, a connector is a connector. As long as they're soldered together well, and you look after it, your $20 20ft lead is far more cost effective than an $80 12ft monster cable.

I wish I was the CEO of monster though, he must be absolutely rolling in money.

OP: As has been said, it could be any of the above. Check the input on your amp and the output on your bass too, if those are loose it could cause crackling. Does it crackle when you turn the volume/gain knob on either the bass or the amp?

11. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Change cereals to a softer cereal? Maybe one with raisins?

12. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Sounds like you need to top off the crons.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when you say the noise gets worse when the "tone knob is turned up" do you mean the tone knob on your bass, or one of the eq knobs on your amp?

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I ended up replacing the preamp tubes, esoldering the jack on the bass, and touching up a bunch of solder joints in the B15S. The issue was the @%%*$&$^ cord, I over thought the issue.

Please consider starting simple. Cord(s), battery etc.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.