1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the size of standard "fender" neck pocket same for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CptanPanic, Apr 14, 2009.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    I am designing my first bass, and am wondering about the neck pocket. I want to make it have a standard fender neck pocket in case want to replace neck in future. Warmoth says it is 3 7/8 x 2 1/2 x 5/8. My question is if my neck is wider due to having 5 strings, I assume I just taper neck at the end to be smaller to fit into pocket. Is this correct? Or should I just forget about trying to fit a fender pocket? Anyone have a sketchup model of a neck?

Thanks in advance as this will be the first of many questions.
    CP

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    No, a 4 string neck pocket will not accommodate a 5 string neck, without some modification.

While it is possible to route the bottom side of a 5 string neck, to fit into a 4 string neck pocket, but make sure you get a true edge, or else you could jinx up the straightness of the neck in the pocket.
    You could always just route a new pocket for the wider neck, which might be slightly easier (IMO).

3. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Yeah I think I will just route a bigger pocket.
    Thanks.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Good to know - the part about widening the neck pocket to accommodate the 5-string heel. I've been thinking about using this body: http://www.rondomusic.com/sjbbody.html

I've been thinking of grabbing a 5-string neck I have laying around, some dark walnut stain, Tru-Oil finish & just going to town. For the body price, can't kick myself too hard if I screw it up. :D

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I assume most people just split the extra width of the neck across BOTH sides of the neck pocket when they make it wider to avoid alignment issues?

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Unless it's a blank body, or relocate the hardware/pickups/etc.