1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a pattern here

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tom kalitowski, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've been playing bass for about 5 months now, although I have been playing other instruments for about 40 years. I would like to get serious about getting "good" at the bass. I have been running through (at a slow pace), to work on my reading Standing in the shadows of Motown. I am finding it very difficult to understand how to learn these bass lines. My question is there a pattern to Jamersons's lines? I mean this man liked his drink quite a bit, especial toward the end of his life. Do I just chalk it up to his genius or am I missing something?

2. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    He was a genius. For me reminding myself Jamerson started as a Jazz DB player makes a lot of his note choices make sense. Then his groove few can duplicate. I would say follow the transcriptions while listening to the originals to hear how things fits.