1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there anything wrong with my setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassnomer, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I've been reading a ton of threads about ohms/watts and all that. I'm trying to find out if there is anything wrong with my current setup. I'm trying to understand all this, (I do a bit) but it's really confusing. So, if anyone could help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro: *1200 watts @ 4 Ohms (2x600W)* into a Hartke 410XL: *400 Watts @ 8 Ohms* and a Hartke 115XL: *200 Watts @ 8 Ohms*

From what I understand, this would be putting 300 into each cab, which is okay for the 4x10, but am I over powering the 1x15 with 300?

Thanks!

2. You can't be doing too much wrong or the thread title would be "why did I break my 15?", and the answer would be you overpowered it when you couldn't hear it for the 4x10.

3. It would be better if you could control the volume to each separately, but I don't believe the SVT-4 can do that except by sending the lows to one cab and the highs to the other. Your cabs are really both designed to be full range. You might want to try it out though, just to see if it's a sound you like.

4. Try biamping with the 15 on highs. You should be quite able to make up the loss of low end by driving the 4x10 a bit harder, and gain fidelity.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  6. I used that combination in the 90's and blew the 15 twice. I liked the sound of that stack, but the 15 just couldn't keep up. The 10s are still going strong. I hesitate to recommend buying more equipment as that isn't an option for everyone. Downunderwonder's suggestion might help, the 15 would then be doing less work.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    IMO I would sell both cabs and get an ampeg 6x10 or 8x10.
    If price is an issue I would get an ampeg 410he or 410hlf. Just my opinion.

8. One of the big reasons for not mating a 1x15 with a 4x10. Get rid of the 1x15 and replace it with a second identical 4x10. If you must run this system, stack the 15 on the top so you can hear it past the 4x10.

In your case the 15 is limiting the output capabilities of the 4x10. You might even be able to get "louder" with just the 4x10 by itself.

9. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The answer is no, there isn't anything wrong with your setup.

If you aren't happy with your tone and have some cash, the other posters have some good suggestions about what to try. But if you are happy, then you're good to go.

10. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone! These are definitely some great ideas. I'll try throwing the 15 up on top and running the highs through it today.

I'm also very interested in those fEARful cabs, wow!

11. Biamping using the 15 on highs will sound very much brighter when standing close to the stack. If you audition it out at audience range you will hear what it's really doing.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    +1

I suggest getting a 30'-40' cord or going wireless so you can always hear how you sound in the mix during sound check and adjust for the venue's acoustics. Also, check your sound again after the venue fills up for any additional changes that might be needed.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

13. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Thanks for all the great advice you guys. I assume it would be best to send the highs to the 15" and send everything to the 4x10, right?

14. As backwards as it seems, yes, because lows need power and the 410 can handle more of it. No harm trying it, but as already said, both of these cabs are meant to be run full-range, so don't be surprised if it seems 'lacking' bi-amped. In any case you're better off putting the 15 on top and biasing power a bit toward the 410 if possible.

15. No point in sending full range to the 4x10. All that will do is smudge your sound.

Counterintuitive as it is, the 4x10 is much better at lows than the 15.

The 15 is total overkill for mids and highs but what the hey, it's got better dispersion than the 4x10, not that it's anything to write home about.

Giving them their own frequency range eliminates phase issue and lets you push the 4x10 to capacity.

The amount of low end you can generate determines your overall volume. As Stumbo was saying, the 4x10 being more efficient and higher power handling means you will probably be just as loud as running both cabs full range.

16. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Yeah, this makes sense. I tried running the 4x10 full range and the 15 with highs and it sounded a bit strange. I'll try just running lows tomorrow. I was also thinking of maybe running my rig like Billy Sheehan where he powers his 15" and 410 with two separate heads and splits the lows/highs. This would give me the option to control the volumes completely seperate also.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is why replacing the 115 with another 410 is a grand idea. Billy Sheehan notwithstanding, a 115 plus a 410 is not a match made in heaven.

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Are you really putting 300 watts into the 115? If you were you'd probably have broken it by now.

How loud are you really playing? The potential for damage is there, but unless you've cranked the amp full up you're probably not putting out enough watts to stress either cab.

19. Biamp mode gives you level control over the highs and lows, whatever the 4x10 can dish out before farting the 15 will fill in the mids and highs. Tweak the crossover frequency for best result, somewhere between 200 and 500hz I expect you will find a sweetspot where the crossover and cab phases sum well.

Interesting you noticed it sounding hokey with the last test. Did you try to eq down the higher frequencies duplicated by the 15 to at least get some balance? If you did and it was still hokey that would tell me those cabs weren't meant for running together full range ever.

Separating frequencies for applying effects is a whole 'nuther ballgame. Some biamping amps have separate effect loops, but they are vulnerable to phase twisting causing a cancellation in the summed sounds. Yours might be in that boat?

My effects are run high and low with phase adjustment for my phase inverting fuzz. Putting overdrive and fuzz on highs while leaving lows clean is badarse.

Then there is Billy. There is a world of difficulty in getting dual amp rig sound out through a PA. When you're Billy you probably have a dedicated soundman just for your rig. Doing it with effects and a mono amp is very much easier. I digress.

Bring on the biamp test!

20. Like I said right at the start, no harm no foul, but now we're on a voyage of discovery.:bassist: