1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is There Life After the Zoom B3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lat, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Get yourself some real pedals. You'll be much happier with the performance and the results.

Attached Files:

2. I'm in the same boat. I started off with a Zoom MS-60b (I still use it.) From that, I figured out what effects I actually like to use and have started my migration to single pedals. I now have an octaver pedal that I like. Next, I'm searching for the right chorus pedal. Maybe a distortion after that.
    I'll still hang on to the Zoom in case I need something unusual.

bassbrad and larryatravis like this.
  3. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    I’m personally happier with my multiFx than I ever was with my board full of real pedals. The patch cables never go bad, the knobs dont get moved due to the load shifting around in the case in transport, never have issues with ground loops, or clicking popping while engaging an effect, never accidentally tweak a knob with my toe while hitting a switch, can use snapshots to engage disengage multiple fx and even change the parameters of those fx with a single click.

The upper end units sound just as good as the analog ones. They are even fooling the tone snobs with their tube amp models in blind shootouts now.

The only point anyone has made on here that would at all give me pause is that if your multi-goes all your fx are gone and it’s much more expensive to replace. That one you can’t get around, and it’s why I am saving to purchase a helix floor as a backup in case my helix rack ever fails on a gig.

Bfieldy likes this.
  4. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Which Octaver did you end up with?

5. Bfieldy

Bfieldy

Sep 29, 2018
    Meh. I've gigged the B3n for a year now with very good results. I currently have a bigger board with individual pedals and a HX Stomp (which is excellent) but the Zoom will stay on my mini board for less hassle gigs. Outstanding unit for the money.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The octaver in the B3n is much better than the B3 in terms of tracking and latency. I’d say it’s as good as the one in the Helix (which is actually a legacy effect from the M5/M9/M13, there is no modern Helix analog style octaver, just pitch shift which isn’t the same thing).

It sounds great blended with the dry signal. But if you want the 100% wet OC-2 synth effect, I’d advise you to go for a 3Leaf Octabvre Mini instead.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  7. jmone

jmone

Mar 1, 2010
    When I got more "into" effects, I grabbed myself an Eventide H9. I learned what effects I actually liked on bass and suited my playing style. From there I sold the H9 and started buying the individual effects because usually a dedicated box will sound better (particularly for analog stuff). I enjoy having a small board of all the stuff I will actually use and I like having everything with it's own dedicated knobs/footswitches.

That being said the dedicated route is a much more expensive one, especially if you start looking at some more boutique offerings. And added to that is the constant GAS of thinking "this dirt pedal is better...actually this one is better...actually maybe it's this one...okay last one..."

Stranger Danger likes this.
  8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    To me it’s night and day from what you get in a bargain box like the Zoom vs the Helix vs real pedals. The Helix is great but has way too much stuff that I’m not interested in at all. The Zoom sounds are really bad. Comparing the Zoom box to real pedals is like comparing a tofu burger to a real cheeseburger. You could live on the former but the latter makes life taste a lot better.

mdalamond likes this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    But that’s the fun part!

bassbrad likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Just a suggestion dude. Settle down. I’ve seen plenty of guys use small boards for a multi and a tuner or exp or whatever. It’s easier to set up and take down when you’re on stage too. I’d prefer a board with a couple pedals over not one any day for those reasons. Different strokes, different folks. It’s ok man.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    larryatravis likes this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was the same exact way with line 6 stuff. So skittish about the HX and the price tag. Until I got it and played it. All skittishness quickly abated after that. Blown away. Still am.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey what kind of octave are you after? Analogue or digital??

13. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Oh man, I see a rabbit hole up ahead...

Cannonball!!!

I'm thinking digital, since from what I've seen on the interwebs leads me to believe they track better? I have a few songs that need to go below a drop-D, with a couple that need that bass-synth vibe... But, I have zero real world experience with a real Octaver pedal.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well, to get the synthy sound, you’ll want to go analogue. Maybe the newer MXR vintage bass octave. I hear it’s a lot like the OC2 and tracks better. If you want a strong tracking octave, you want digital. But remember, both these sound quite different. For digital, the POG is great, the pitch fork is good for drop tunings I hear and the bass whammy is great for pitch shifting of course as well as a straight digital octave up or down or a lot of other ones. The pitch fork does a lot of other octaves too. The POG not as much. But then there’s the micro POG and the POG. Haha rabbit hole indeed! ;)

So it really depends what you’re wanting and what you’re gonna use it for.

15. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    haha! Thanks for confirming my suspicion! This is exactly why I went for the B3 in the first place... I think I will be keeping my eye on HX pricing and biding my time. But, regardless of that, I think I'll be wanting a separate tuner pedal that will give me an instant mute without F'ing around.

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    If you want synthy you should really check out the Future Impact. It's not an Octave pedal, but it has octaver+filter+distortioin+chorus+EQ and those aren't even the main function. It's an amazing synth, best I've ever tried. It is one of the two pedals I mentioned earlier that I didn't sell after getting a Helix.

larryatravis likes this.
  17. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    OK ,but you didn't answer why someone would use a board for one pedal. How is that easier to setup and take down?

18. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    He didn't know if my setup included things like a DI, personal mixer, wireless transmitter, etc., so instead of assuming, he asked a quick question.

matante and gregmon79 like this.
  19. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Wow, that is quite impressive. Pretty smooth effects, for the most part.

20. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    That’s just a handful of examples too. Keep checking out demos. I used it to get the Bruno mars 24K magic synth, the Whitney Houston I wanna Dance With Sombody, it’s got 4 oscillators and eCh one can do any mix of square, triangle, and sawtooth. I even used it just as a distortion for Prince Let’s Go crazy. It’s truly amazing. But FWIW the synth stage is monophonic, so you have to play single note lines and play real clean for any synth effects. The other Fx are not.

larryatravis likes this.