1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is There Life After the Zoom B3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lat, Mar 21, 2019.

1. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    True that.
    I do have a Snark clip-on that I use when banging around at home, but only bring that as a backup at gigs. My basses stay in tune nicely, so once they are in tune, the only time I have to revisit that during a gig is if I bonk something with my headstock, which is rarely.

I typically follow the philosophy of form following function, so maybe I need to step back and reconsider exactly what I am trying to accomplish on stage. I need certain effects for specific songs, so the effects I listed in the OP are still valid, but maybe the tuner issue is merely me trying to look 'professional' without adding any value to the process. Food for thought.

2. I used the BOSS GT-10B or whatever it is called for years, so I can recommend the BOSS stuff. However, in the end, I have stopped using it live. I find it easier to deal with just my amp for the tones I want (the Mesa D800+ has a ton of tonal options, and the HPF and Voicing controls give me almost everything I would want except for a true distortion). I can mute the amp and use a Snark tuner if I need to tune.

I love playing with my BOSS at home, but I rarely take it out anymore.

BrentSimons and larryatravis like this.
  3. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Hmm... weird, do you hold it down for 2 seconds, to engage the mute?
    Holding it down for 1 second engages the tuner with no mute. 2 seconds mutes. At least on mine...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Well would you look at that! You learn something new everyday! Thanks

5. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    After another coffee, (beautiful morning here, btw) nope. I would still be annoyed by having to grab the snark, and mess with my volume setting. Having access to a dedicated tuner would give me instant access to tuning, plus a mute function that doesn't require me to reset the volume on the bass to it's previous level, once done. Minor points I know, but I like to stay focused when I'm on stage, so those little things that I don't have to worry about are relatively important to me.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I am no virtuoso, and I barely use the B3, BUT... I found the tuner on my B3 to be functional, yet annoying. I have a snark pedal tuner on my board because it is MUCH faster, and easier for my bad eyes to see especially during daytime shows with lights in my face...

I use a couple of patches that are easy enough to scroll to, that allow me to kick over in transition between songs for various tonal effects.

Long story short, I am happy enough with the B3, but my demands are somewhat limited...

It should be noted I went to the B3 after being thoroughly confused by the operation of, and ticked off by a Digitech BP50 that I bought in 2003. The guy I sold it to, loves it. I never could figure it out and thus, hated it...

larryatravis likes this.
  7. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    My experience is that digital multi effect units make my basses sound thin in a live mix. They're great for learning about the vast variety of effects that are out there, though !

larryatravis likes this.
  8. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Man, that sounds great !

9. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    That’s been my experience with any of them i ever tried prior to the Helix as well. I’ve said it in other threads as well, but I think digital FX have finally “gotten there”. I would never use one in the past. There was a guitar player that would sometimes sit in with one of my old bands that had one and I couldn’t stand his tone. It was as if someone was on stage playing a toy guitar.

But the newest stuff is phenomenal. What really pushed me over was watching tube amp guitar aficionados go into blind “taste tests” with a Kemper confident that they would easily know the difference and miss 2 times out of 3, admitting that they really couldn’t tell the difference and we’re having to guess.

Now it is still my experience that all effects can make a bass sound thin in a mix, and that’s why parallel processing is such a valuable tool when using effects.

10. Thumpr

Thumpr Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    This is exactly what I am doing right now, oddly. I like the choruses, delays, and front ends of the b3. The looper is too simplistic and too many clicks to get back in and out from, and the octave is IMO meh. With the B3, a ditto x2, and an octamizer I am getting close. I am still adding a DG x7, it’s inbound. May get the expression pedal, maybe no. Maybe a separate envelope filter, maybe no. I will play with it all then pick a board and PSU that fits when the verdict is in and mount it all up.

F672BCC7-8FDA-45BF-838A-70099A1F5BD7.

11. I really enjoyed my B3 for the most part? I don't usually use many effects other than the occasional chorus, flange or phaser and maybe an octave here and there so I wasn't limited with the 3 effect maximum.
    I completely gave in to GAS when the 3n came out. I really didn't need to switch but I ended up selling the B3 and picked up a 3n. The "aux in" was one of the selling points for me. I had been running the B3 into a small Behringer mixer and then plugging my iPod into it for practice which worked great and took up very little real estate but enough to slightly bug me.
    But I never really bonded with the B3n? I was bummed that they made the screen size smaller and as silly as it is I missed the pedal graphics/icons? I thought those were well done.My old(er) eyes really liked those big screens on the B3! Many said the dirts were an improvement as well as the amp/cab modeling. But I just felt , meh? I did like the ability to put the drum machine on a foot switch in "stomp" mode but never really used it much?
    So now I've sold the B3n and I'm looking for something else. I've considered the HX Stomp but its probably far too much for my needs. Go back to the GK Plex? Maybe. I really like "all in one solutions". I had hopes for the Fender Downtown Express but it's missing a few key convenience items for me. I would like to hear one though.
    Who knows maybe I'll pick up a Zoom MS-60B? Ah its good to be a bass player with so many choices these days! :)
    Best wishes to all,
    Brent

Thumpr likes this.
  12. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I love what I can do with the GT-10B. In my observation, these can be found in the used market in very nice condition, and they are metal-cased, long-lasting gear.

Downside is, it's as large as an RC-50 looper. For now, I use a hardshell suitcase and foam to transport it.

BrentSimons and larryatravis like this.
  13. The reason you'll see pros not using a pedal board is due to travel restrictions, most carry the few pedals they use in carry on luggage. Most pros these days travel very light and many gigs are flyaway with a bass or two and a carry on, play 1-3 gigs and back home or return to a temporary home base. Getting a fixed pedal board through airport security and customs can be a real MF hassle, just easier to carry loose after you have one bad experience. This is also the reason a lot of players tour with common pedals instead of boutique, just easier to replace if necessary.

14. This is how my B2 is set up, most sounds are for my #1 + # 2 basses & there are sounds specifically for my fretless bass, my eub, my G3 but I can use all the sounds by adding an EQ in front for a little help for those basses.

15. Yep still using my B2 -B2.1u and have a third B2 just full of synth sounds, for live it just fits my needs better. Plus in a pinch it's all I 'really' need for my money gigs: bass+cable+power supply +B2.1u=$

16. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I actually ended up swapping my B3 for a B1on. More options to fiddle with at once and so much more portable I can scarcely begin to believe it. When I head back to town to jam with my family, I’ll oftentimes skip the mini-pedalboard completely and just bring the B1on instead.

--^@

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I get it. I wasn't going there. I just didn't feel that post's reaction wasn't warranted relative to my statement is all. I can totally see why some pros don't for sure. Flying with gear sucks. And it's expensive.

Besides, none of this discussion in this thread needed to go where it did. I was simply asking the OP if he uses a board. That's all.

18. Sorry for the rant, I had a recent run in with TSA over gear I have used for years without question and it has left me rather bitter and stripping my flyaway gear back to essentials, my clients are not happy but that is the reality. I've been a world traveler in music since 1982 and this whole airport security dog and pony show is wearing thin. Get away from my precious priceless bass with that crowbar you a@@hole! NO you cannot put it in luggage, I paid for cabin storage! sorry.

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. centralbeatbass

centralbeatbass

Nov 18, 2008
    Hi all. I was pretty happy with the Zoom B3 for the past several years but then it basically blew up. It started screeching during a gig and I had to play without effects. I changed the ac adapter to a 1 spot and things were working, and then they were not working.

Basically, I love effects for guitar but for bass i'm just looking for a basic thumpy old school sound. I don't slap [yet, not really my thing,] tend to play with a pick, [but I can use my fingers, mostly thumb,] and rarely [like never] use fuzz with my bass.

So I could buy a new Zoom, buy the more expensive [and seemingly complicated] line 6 hxfx, or I could delve into individual pedals for the first time. So is there life after the zoom b3? I hope so.

So for a minimal set up, would a preamp & tuner do the trick? Perhaps I could buy a compressor too but not sure I know how to use those correctly. [BTW I use mostly passive fenders, [have a Rickenbacker, a Hofner, and a J Bass with a sadowsky onboard preamp. I have a GK MB500, and a DRB 15 inch speaker. Sometimes i'll plug into smaller ampegs at rehearsals or very small gigs.]

thanks everyone!

BrentSimons likes this.
  20. Of course there is! :)
    I went back to the GK Plex. Preamp, Tuner, Compressor, Overdrive and pretty much every in and out you could need. I noticed that you are using a GKMB500. There are several GK amp models in the Plex to choose from if you wanted to stay with the "GK sound". Or maybe the Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig?
    Best wishes,
    Brent

centralbeatbass likes this.