Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there really a difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Electricmayhem, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    You know how all Boss pedals say "only use Boss PSA adaptor" and Digitechs say " only use Digitech adaptors"? Is it really a good idea to buy them or am I correct in smelling a scam? :confused:

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    my Nady wireless' adapter crapped out on me, so I have used a multi-adapter for the past 4 years, with no problems...

With a multi-adapter set to the exact specs of the unit (should say near power-input) you should be fine, but always double and triple check before you even plug the adapter into the unit that it is set right...also some electronics sales/repair shops might be willing to build you one to avoid any setting problems.

some may disagree...I'm not an electronics wiz

Rob

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Thanks. There really can't be a difference as long as it has the same specs and it fits, can there? It bugs me how the companies want you to spend 20 bucks on something you can get at radioshack for less than half of that price.

4. Well, I have a Boss TU-2 Tuner. When I got it, I tried a Radio Shack power supply that I already had. Voltage, amperage, and polarity seemed within the requirements of the Boss tuner. It appeared to work so I took it to practice with me and tuned up. When we started playing, it was very obvious that the group and I were not in tune with each other. I unplugged the power supply and ran off battery power then rechecked tuning. I was way flat, not just a little bit, but way off. I purchased the recomended (they say required) Boss PSA power supply and the tuner worked flawlessly. I looked more closely for a difference between the two power supplies and noticed the Boss said "regulated power supply". The Radio Shack didn't say "regulated". (????)

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you need to make sure that the mAmps on the adapter is higher than what the pedal will draw, I think. I use a visual sound one spot to power everything, works great.