1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is this 5 String cool?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidsmashdrums, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Davison Quilted Maple Top 5 String Electric Bass Guitar, Active Pickups

http://bit.ly/Mu0MMw

$175

I'm not a bassist but it is my 2nd best instrument that I can play 1st being drums.

I don't want to tune down my p style bass, so I want a low price 5 err that I won't be sad to play low Db and Eb & C's

Any suggestions? Or is this 5 er a good bang for $175?????

Thank You in Advance

2. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Probably not. An active bass for that kind of money isn't really something to become happy about. For that money, they have to get a good preamp in a bass, and the problem is: that's impossible ;) If you wanna spend about $175 for a good 5-string, get a passive Yamaha or something, second hand :) I'd stay away from active basses that cost up to about $400.

The body design for that bass, by the way, was "borrowed" from the Yamaha TRB series.

3. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    It's $150 now. But seriously, for $150 it's probably not bad.

Cheap Chinese instruments have come a long way. I have a Chinese counterfeit Warwick that actually plays quite well for what it is. It's my practice bass that I leave on the ship I work on. Took a lot of tweaking on the setup to get it there but it sounds pretty good. The finish is not very durable and the fretwire is quite soft but you get what you pay for.

If you like it, then go for it. For the sampe price you might want to consider this;

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mn5car.html

Sx's play and sound good. The nuclear orange (vintage) tint on the neck is ugly as sin though.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It won't be revolutionary in sound, 'cause it's just a basswood body (very neutral) with possibly just a quilted top. But sport a good maple neck with Gotoh/Grover alike small machinehead a very simple rosewood board, maybe a more than satisfying dual pickup (MM and single) and a tight and reliable bridge.

For the price of a Fernandes Atlas

Give it a go

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Nothing with quilted maple on it can be called 'cool'. It's what you get on dad basses.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Whuuuuuuuh?!??!? Oh, you crazy kids.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Actually may dad bass had a flamed maple top:p

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: I love you anyway

I was raised (as crazy as I am) in England and, kidding by kidding, I came to know and love your impossible sense of humor:cool:

8. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Yeah, quilted maple is sooooo uncool. Flamed maple is where it's at.

Mind you, I'm a dad...

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Probably not really quilted maple anyway, most of those basses have painted tops to look like quilted maple...

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    What do you have to lose? Looks nice for the money. Sound is another story, but for the money it seems like a good bass. I would look to add a string tree, as it seems to be lacking one.

Also the way they spelled Active is very interesting. :)

Oh and the pick ups AREN'T active, the preamp is.

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ

Here's a review I found

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  13. Maccor

Maccor

Aug 8, 2012
    wow, cool. Yeah I am thinking about becoming more professional with the bass guitar, so this is great stuff. I think in order to be a professional musician one has to care about looks too. Products like blemish balm help a lot to conceal spots and irritations and make you look better on stage. But of course, it is all about the music.

14. Thanks fellas!

So can this bass be turned into passive and that would be better?

Any other options for a buy it now with shipping $175 or under?

thanks again

15. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Its listed as having 'active pickups'. Active pickups have the electronics built into the pickups themselves.

16. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I have NEVER heard of ACTIVE pickups. They have always been passive, and are powered by the PRE-amp. Did I learn something new today?

17. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    emg is active pickup...

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Cool is subjective.... and basses/bass players are never cool... so no I would not call that bass cool.... heck I wouldn't even call it kewl.

19. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yes

20. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    There are definitely active pickups, but most basses that are called "active basses" have passive pickups w/ an active preamp. EMG as stated previously, as well as a few others do make active pickups though.

To the OP, if you're capped out at about $175-200, I would scour the local pawnshops and craigslist in your area. You'll be able to get more for your money used than you would new. You could probably find a used Peavey, Ibanez, or Dean 5 string in that price range that would probably be a much better bass than this.