Is this '60/'61 Jazz Stack-Knob diagram correct?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grissle, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    It doesn't look like the tone pots are going to work to me...

img002copy.jpg

2. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
  3. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Why not?

4. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    "That's interesting.... where'd you find that pic?"

Scanned it. It came with a bass I bought off Craigs with the parts but they're not installed.

But regarding the diagram, there's no output from the tone pot? The signal goes to the tone pot and the cap is grounded but it stops there? It looks like the volume should work.

Maybe Mr. Line6man will chime in?

5. this is not directly responsive, but I bought a 62 J reissue with the stacked pots a few years ago, and after a while had the stacked knobs replaced with the 3-knob setup (if you know what I mean, if not I'll try to find a picture). I thought the stacked knobs sucked in terms of actually controlling them because the knobs caught on each other and turning one was turning both. Your experience may differ.

6. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    After getting to check out a genuine '61 Stack-Knob Jazz (which I loved) I've been looking to put one together. I'm starting with this '01 MIM Jazz that came with all the electronics but not installed (perfect opportunity), but I'm not convinced the diagram is correct.

7. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    The tone pots look like what is correct. I've never seen resistors used between the pot output terminals and the jack. That doesn't add up to me. That's not how I have my stack knob parts bass wired up. If you eliminated the resistors and wired the jack directly to the output terminal of each volume pot it would be identical to how my bass is wired. I think I have two different caps; .04 mfd neck and .022 mfd bridge, but it's been several years since I wired mine up. I would have to look. I'll see if I can find what I used & will post.

8. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Well I tried a mockup using alligator clips and such, and sure enough the tone pots have no effect, but the volumes work. I'm pretty sure that diagram was made professionally so I just don't get it?

9. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    If you call Fender they will email you the diagram.

10. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
  11. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    +1
    John wires them up the original (correct) Fender way,
    and I can tell you from experience they work great.

I've read on other TB threads that Fender's AV '62 Jazz
    stack knob setup is wired differently. Wondering if the
    tone controls cross talk?

12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I didn't find it first, but what TyKao linked-to is exactly what I used to wire up my '60 Jazz parts bass. I didn't find a .03mfd cap, so I used one .047 mfd and one .022 mfd

I'm using all Fender reissue stack pots (250K I believe) with Seymour-Duncan Antiquities.

The entire bass is;
    Edenhaus Ash body w/Stu-Mac vintage amber finish
    Fender '62 reissue neck (the ones they sold in a purple sock!)
    Fender reissue Kluson reverse tuners
    Schaller bridge

I've got 8 basses & this one is #1 for tone. My cousin owns an ALL ORIGINAL '63 Jazz & our basses sound very similar. His is 10000% cooler than mine with factory candy apple red finish and matching headstock (customer color) and major player wear where his dad hung his arm over the body. Don't ask; he won't sell it....

13. It seems like all the Fender diagrams of the stack knob basses give the 62RI wiring - can't find the original schematic anywhere. I'm going to try 220k metal film resistors in my '97 62RI.

14. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    I have just installed a stacked knob control plate from "Only Music" in this related post from a week or so ago. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709762
    I just installed it along with the new Aguilar 5 string pups. My Lakland JO 5 now has the best sounding vintage Jazz Bass tone (to my ears) that I have ever had in my possession. I can't figure out for the life of me why Jazz Bass players and builders have moved away from this set up.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    those resistors must be an attempt to keep the pickups or the controls from interacting so much, but that's gotta suck away a lot of output. (haven't tried one to compare)

16. Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this old thread. I've never seen it before.:hyper:

Yeah, 220K series resistance is basically the equivalent of rolling a 500K pot down to about "8" if it's an audio taper.

I see that they wired the wiper terminals to the output, since they would only be grounding the resistor rather than the output when you roll either volume pot all the way down.

My concern would be that as you adjust one volume pot, you're varying the potential for the other pickup from one pickup to ground. That *might* give you some strange behavior, but it's just too difficult to figure out without actually trying it.
    It could work just fine.

17. Interesting.

I just put a pair of 270k's in - it's what I had in the toy box.
    Much better tonal separation.

18. But how much signal loss?

19. erm.... sorta hard to tell exactly. I think 8/10 would be about right.

Which is cool.... because my amp has a volume knob. :smug: :p

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021