1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pichy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Pichy

Pichy

Aug 24, 2012
    Mason, Ohio
    I am new to the Forum and also relatively new at bass playing. Recently I joined a group that records via the cyber world. We are thinking of forming a group to play live, something I have not done in decades, so my knowledge of current technology is practically zero.

Due to budget constraints, and physical impediments (bad back and weak left arm due to shingles), I cannot be hauling heavy hardware. So, weight is a huge factor in my purchase decision, in addition to $$$, of course!!

I was recommended by a friend to get a self-powered PA speaker (like the Behringer Eurolive B212D) to be used as my monitor during live gigs. This spkr only weights 32 lbs and it is rated at 280 Watts (RMS).

Is this a good idea?

I was looking at the Rumble 350 and the 112 cabinet (6 lbs and 24 lbs respectively). Together they put me north of $800. The Behringer only costs $230 and it does both functions.

If using the Behringer is a good idea, what pre-amp/effects do you recommend? Remember, weight and $$$ are deciding factors. I do not want to exceed $750 on this, including the Behringer, (my wife may act on her threats!!! :) I think I ran out of get-out-of-jail free cards with her!!!) Therefore, I only have about $500 for the pre-amp and effects.

I am not a fancy player, all I play is classic rock, pop and smooth jazz; therefore do not need a lot of effects (I do not use a lot of effects even as a guitar player)
    Thanks in advance!!!!

2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    The Behringer is a relatively modest PA speaker. It wouldn't produce much usable bass projection for anything live, almost regardless of room size. Surmounting your weight and carry challenges (I can sympathize) will require a little more strategy for live performance. You could go modular - I'd suggest searching down a pair of bass cabs with one 12" or 15" (or even pair a 112 and a 115) (The Rumble and 112 idea would still leave you pretty light on live sound). Figure out the max you want to carry at any one time. Seems like you could keep it to 3 trips and get a workable rig for live play. Of course, your shopping challenge will be to work against the tendency for price to increase as weight decreases. But shopping used can reduce cost dramatically.

3. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
  4. There are several combo amps and amp/cab match-ups that are *real* bass rigs, in the 200-250watts range, for less than $750. GK - Acoustic - Kustom - TC Electronics - Ampeg head with a Peavey Headliner cab... a pretty large list, actually. Using a full-range amp/speaker setup, like a powered PA system works OK for most instruments, but does not work well for bass. I would only suggest Behringer if lowest cost is paramount.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This^^

On a budget, look at the GK MB series cmbos, and probably Carvins similair offerings that use their lightweight amps.