Is This a Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rainsford, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Rainsford

Oct 15, 2005
    Hi all. I am a totally new to bass guitars, and am considering puchasing one. I already own a Cort Acoustic (mr f ns) with Dean Markley (VintageBronze) stings, and am in the process of restoring a '74 fender (still all stock parts :) )

I was wondering if it is worth $400 Canadian to purchase a gently used Fender squire and Kustom amp. The Kustom is either a challenger or a charger. It is on wheels, has one speaker, and says 200 watts on the back. I've been told that both are good, the amp is loud, and everything is excellent condition. I will be checking it out before I buy, of course.

Sorry for the vague description, I've been googling all night and haven't found any more info on the amp.

Is it worth $400 for these two? Is the kustom (be it challenger or charger -- sorry i dont know yet) still a descent amp, although its from the 70's? How long can I expect it to last?

Thanks in advance
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

If the Squier is recent vintage then no. It is maybe worth $100CDN. If it is an older Japanese Squier, then this would be a steal. As for the Kustom, they are generally a decent amp, however I can't really tell you much about that particular model. It may be worth the asking price but I can't be sure.

3. Rainsford

Oct 15, 2005
    Ok. So if the guitar is just the norm, then most of the money is for the amp. Which may or may not be worth it. As soon as I find out more, I'l be sure to post, when I go to check it out I'l take my camera, get some shots of the guitar and the amp to more accurately describe it ... I was kinda hoping that the amp would be a good buy for the money.

I was kinda thinking that if the amp is good that I'd use it for my acoustic too. Will this work? I heard somewhere that acoustics work best with bass or acoustic amps.

Would I be better off getting the used package with the more powerful amp or a new package, for cheaper? I've been playing guitar for about a year now, have been teaching myself, been working mainly on fingerstyle, chording and powerchords. So I already know most of the bass notes. But then I also hate weak bass guitar :) the bass should be distinct, not some 10w joke :)

Sorry for all the questions. I tend to research things, especially guitars meticously before buying.
  4. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I would save cash up and buy a Godin Freeway 4 or MIM fender P or J and a Yorkville XM200 amplifier.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    'I would save cash up and buy a Godin Freeway 4 or MIM fender P or J and a Yorkville XM200 amplifier.'

Sound advice. The above models of basses and amp are easily available used and will provide you with a decent sound. If you get fed up, they sell easily as well.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1 to both replies.
  7. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Ditto. If you have the chance to buy a Yorkville, do it, especially while they're still relatively inexpensive. Before long, the masses will catch on and drive the price through the roof.
  8. Rainsford

Oct 15, 2005
    Ok. I'ls go check out those other amps/ basses Thanks for all the help thusfar :)
  9. Rainsford

Oct 15, 2005

The bass is about 5 years old and has been played a grand total of 15 times. The plastic that protects the pickgaurd was just taken off last time it was played.

The amp is a 200W Kustom Charger, about 30 years old and in excellent condition.

Does this help give a better idea of whether or not this is worth $400CDN?
  10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd say, go for it. If you like the feel/tone, go for it.