1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aqsw, Oct 21, 2010.

1. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    My daughter has an AI Contra Series 3 that she absolutely loves when playing DB. But, she has gotten lots of gigs lately where she plays her EB and needs alot more punch. She has a Mesa 210 extension, but still needs more. I was thinking of getting her a Mesa powerhouse 1000 (road ready) that I could get a pretty good deal on, but I don't think the contra could power these Mesas to their capabilities.

I could get an AI ten2 for about $1000.00 CDN with a trade in on the contra. This way she could just pull the head when playing with the loud bands, and just use the AI when playing DB in lounges etc. Is that a good price? Is there something I may be missing in the theory of this post?
    Thanks

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Ten2 is a much louder cabinet than the Contra from what I understand. The single downfiring 10 in the Contra works fine for small jazz gigs it's ultra light and super compact and thus has limitations.

For starters, the AI Ten2 has a lot more power than the Contra, so that should help. However, AI heads were designed to be neutral sounding for acoustic instruments, so they don't sound as loud as a comparable Bass Guitar Ampilfer due, to their pre amp voicing. The AI Ten 2 Costs $1,599.00 from Gollihur Music so the price is very attractive.
    You could just buy a Little Mark III or Gentz Benz and have her use that for Electric Bass with the Mesa 2X10 since those amps works better IMHO with electric bass.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I'm with Ric.
    Since she already likes her DB setup why not just get an electric bass head to power the Mesa? The new GK micro head is getting some good reviews and sells for just over $200 so that might be a good option.

4. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Would that GK micro have more power (volume)than the Contra? I am thinking of getting another Mesa cab for more volume. I read on another forum how good the AI amp is on EB also. I just think(though I could be wrong) the ten2 solves all my problems.

She played a gig(EB) on Saturday and the Contra was turned up with the 210 and it was hard to hear her until she played "Folsom Prison":D

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ten2 + Mesa 2x10 = all the power/sound she should ever need. If she still can't be heard, you're better off investing in some hearing protection for her before any other amplification gear.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I would think so as I have used the GK MB150 combo with a 12" extension cabinet for electric gigs and been asked to turn down, recently with an extremely loud big band that literally rattles the windows in a local BBQ joint. Last Thursday I used the GK 400RB which specs the same power as the new micro with the single 12" on a five piece fusion gig and got lots of compliments on the tone out in the room.

Speaker efficiency is probably more important than amp wattage. There is quite a bit of info here if you do a search.

FWIW, in my experience the Contra is severely limited as an electric bass amp. The speaker efficiency is in the lower 90 db range. I tried it on electric and couldn't get enough power to trust it on any gig, but that's just me. A friend uses one with a front firing extension with good results.