1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this appropriate for church?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lowner, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have been asked to play in this contemporary worship service that my church has every month. I am thinking of using my MIM Fender P-bass. But it has a Bad-ASS II bridge on it. You can see where it says bad ass on the bridge. probably no one would notice unless they look really close but I am afraid someoen just might notice that there is a curse word on my bass and get a bit upset. I was thinking of putting a piece of black electrical tape over where it says bad ass but you know there will be that person who has to know why there is tape on my bass. So would it be appropriate just to take the bass without tape and hope no one notices?

2. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I really don't think anyone will notice.

If you're worried about upsetting anyone, mention it to the music team leader just in case and see what he/she thinks.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Egads! Last time I was a guest at a 'contemporary christian' worship service (this was at a pentacostal church, mind you), Having a six-letter brand name on a piece of brass machinery would have been the LEAST of their problems that way.

This Reformed Presbyterian was considerably more-concerned with the REAL tight-pants ASS gyrating-around that Sabbath Morning! Watching a Saturday-night dancefloor from the club stage is old-news to this old guy, but in a church, on the Lord's Sabbath?!

I mean I'm not a very pious guy, but I felt like I might-as-well be drinking goat's blood or somthing that morning...

So if it's one of THOSE kind of 'contemporary', I wouldn't worry about it.

Joe

(edit) Oh! ..and I just remembered: the name of the denomination of this church started with "Ass..."!

4. Don't worry about it, if someone asks, tell them it's the brand name and it refers to the animal. And I do belive it is an animal named in the bible. :)

“And Caleb said, He that smiteth Kirjath-sepher, and taketh it, to him will I give Achsah my daughter to wife. And Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother, took it: and he gave him Achsah his daughter to wife. And it came to pass, when she came to him, that she moved him to ask of her father a field: and she lighted from off her ass; and Caleb said unto her, What wilt thou? And she said unto him, Give me a blessing: for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water. And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the nether springs.”
    Judges 1:12-15

Just to name one place.

If they ask you to cover it up, then do, but I doubt anyone will really care, or even see.

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Dude, you can cover it if you feel so inclined. Most folks won't ask why you have tape on your bass, and if they do, tell them that you don't like advertising brands all the time. I see bands do that all the time in photos. I would say if you're worried about it, just pop a piece of tape on there and chalk it up to your own relief.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    ^^^ Strike that. After looking at a picture of this bridge, I don't think a single person will notice. It's not like they're going to sit down and carefully examine your bass.

And even if they do, tell them that the brand is pronounced "buh-dace" bass.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tell them it's pronounced "Ba-Dass"

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Lol... hey, good idea! :eyebrow:

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Or just remind the curious that the Lord loves bass guitar, and will surely forgive an unfortunate product name for the tone and sustain it produces.

Seriously, lying about how the product is pronounced is going to do more damage to you spiritually than showing up with a quality bridge that has a name that might offend someone. Don't bother. If it creates more than 30 seconds of controversy, put tape over it.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    What finish is the bridge in?

If black, I honestly would not worry about it. In most cases the things we think might be problematic are never the things that are.

On a lighter note, be thankful its a prescision and not a Jazz, since "Jazz is the devils music" ;-)

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not just put the original bridge back on it?

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My wife had a discussion about whether or not ass was a bad word. My argument that because it is in the Bible, therefore it's not a bad word. Her retort is that they are referring to animals, not posteriors. So whenever I say the word "ass" and she gives me "that look", I respond by saying - "How did your know I wasn't talking about an animal?"

13. I think Ive had the same conversation with my wife...and gotten that same look, "The Look"

The Look -
    The expression one gets from one's spouse when one does something incredibly moronic. Women are born with a natural ability to give "the look," but men can acquire ability over time.

http://garagelogic.com/lexicon.htm

Seriously, don't worry about the bridge.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Huh?

If I do something 'incredibly moronic', I don't think she'd dare. As far as I understand 'the look', it's mainly for incredibly petty stuff - yeah: like the name on a bass bridge.

Joe

15. Continuum

Continuum Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    LOL, I was thinking about this same thing the other day. I wish Leo Quan made some bridges with no stamp.

16. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Personally, I wouldn't give it another thought - it's the brand name on your bridge, simple as that. God looks at your heart, not the brand name on your bridge. People, on the other hand, look at all kinds of things that don't matter at all and may be upset by them but you're never going to be able to please everyone anyway.

And, "ass" is a curse word?? :rolleyes:

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good one. :)

18. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    I don't think you'll have a problem with it. It's just a brand name and like what others have said, they have other problems to worry about than your bass. In fact, you could very well be the least of their problems already :)

19. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    to me this is the stupidess question i've ever heard.

a) bad ass is not a swear word
    b)christians that say you are bad for using swear words is stupid anyway, as long as it's not blasphemous why should they care.
    c)they're not gonna notice anyway

20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    There's bound to be someone at that church that will be offended if they see that bridge. That being said, I seriously doubt that anyone other than the other musicians will notice, and I seriously doubt if any of them will care. Don't worry about it. Covering it with tape will only draw attention.