1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this combo strong enough for small gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gjallarhorn, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn

Jun 21, 2013
    Hey!

I need to upgrade my amp in the near future, since my 15W will to 100% not be enough for a small gig later on.

At the moment I am using a Roland Bass Combo that the owners of the rehearsal room have, not sure which one, but it's enough to be heard with.

I have been looking at many kinds of amps, Bass Combos that's heavy and light. Bass Amps and Bass Cabinets that you can expand later on, but they require lifting back and forth etc.

After some search yesterday I found a Bass Combo with a manufacturer I have never heard of before.

I went to google the bass combo to look at reviews and it seems like it got alot of positive comments.

The amp I am talking about is TC Electronic BG250.
    Link: http://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_bg250.htm

Weights 16 kg (35 lbs), 1x 15'' speaker and 250 watts.

This seems like a perfect bass combo to start out with that's enough for rehearsing and doing small gigs with.

But since I am kind of new at this stuff, I hope that some of you could help me out with some recommendations and such :)

If you recommend another Bass Combo, I would prefer it to be:

If it matters, the bass I will pair it with will be a Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std 5
    Link:http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_rb_streamer_std_5_bk_2010.htm

Thanks!

2. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    this combo seems to be perfect for your purpose.

3. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Perfectly fine combo for what you want. Thomann also has a Peavey tour in about the same price range. Seem like a good comparable deal to me. A bit more power and a little less options.

4. That looks like a great rig. You will love the upgrade. Should be enough power for small shows if your drummer don't hit to hard.

5. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn

Jun 21, 2013
    Thanks for the replies!

Matthijs: If you mean the 115 tour, it's real big. Saw it in a music shop and got surprised.

I guess that this is the amp I am looking for then :)

Thanks again!

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Up to you on whether or not the bass chorus and simulated tube effects are good or necessary. I hear some negative things about the numbers that TC puts out on their wattage ratings, but this is Talkbass and you'll find something negative about ANYTHING on here lol.

I'll have to preface that I am a bit of a GK fanboy now (haven't turned my back on everyone else, I'm just digging their gear at the moment lol). So for light, loud (yes, it says 200w but believe me their stuff is pretty true to the rating IME), and good grindy tone the GK's are a good competitor. Price is a bit steep compared to what you were showing, but you've got a combo you'll likely keep when you replace it with a bigger stack.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb112.htm

Also keep in mind, you can get the MBE cabinets which are self-powered and just chain right into that GK combo in the link. All it does is send the volume level info to the cabinet and you've got plenty of vibes to fill the stage. Lotta cats gig with 2-1x12s and do just fine. May not need to spend money on a larger rig for quite some time! Anyhow, food for thought, ymmv, imo/ime, and all that jazz. I just can't say I've heard anything by TC Electronic that has made me see the value in it. Decide for yourself though, it's your money.

7. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Parainen, Finland
    FYI new BG250 models just came out...

8. The true test of whether or not your rig/combo will work for you.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Since the amp has a balanced direct output, I'd think you'd be fine.

10. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned SUSPENDED

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I have the BG250 and I'm loving it so far! The TonePrint options are pretty cool.

11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have been gigging a BG250 most of the summer. Plenty loud to compete with most drummers and I have had no problems with mine.

12. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    You could also explore used Combo,s it just a thought you might get yourself a real nice quality used amp for same price as that new amp...good luck either way

13. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    I gigged this amp quite a few times- PLENTY loud unless you are playing with "problem" people. then nothing short of the 8x10 rigs will even be loud enough, but ask yourself, do you really want to lug a 150 pound cabinet to play with functional retards/gui****s?

14. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    A local dealer had the Peavey combo beneath two other combos and wanted me to try it out. I kept asking "how much does it weigh?" Just play it and you love it! But how much does it weigh? I waited until he walked away and took the other combos off of it. It might as well been bolted to the floor. I couldn't have lifted it into my car. Did sound good though! Think it was the 15" combo.

15. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn

Jun 21, 2013
    I am constantly looking after used combos aswell. The problem is that I live in Sweden, so it's quite limited in the area I live.

That's also why Thomann is such a life saver :)

Thanks for all the replies, it is good to have both positive and negative comments... At that price it can't be flawless :)

16. You think Peavey 15" combos are heavy, try deadlifting an old 4x10. Kids today...

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - the ONLY way to balance a backline is to play to the drummer's level, and insist that the guitars do, too...

- georgestrings

18. And encourage the drummer to be in control of the dynamics if the guitars don't have any. You cou can then lead the dynamics once you can get the drummer onboard with the concept.

19. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn

Jun 21, 2013
    Heavy and heavy. I said it was big -> Too big to fit in a small car :) - No need to get upset old man ;)

20. To the OP. The BG 250 will do for gig`s no problem. I play with 2 Marshall lovin guitarist`s and a mad drummer and it keeps up easily. If you need more volume, di it into the pa.