1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this fixable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ColinGWood, Apr 10, 2010.

1. My Baby Blue II is currently un usable: one of the 8inch speakers has a tear, not in the cone, but in the foam supporting the edge of the cone, see below

IMG_6410.

Is this speaker doomed to the grave? Do I need to replace or can this tear be remedied?

For the record they are 8inch Bag End speakers, and I cannot find 8 inch Bag End speakers ANYWHERE!!!

Just curious as to how I can give this amp some lovin again

EDIT PS - I can't really find ANY 8 inch speakers ANYWHERE. Any help is appreciated. I'm in Ontario and would prefer not shopping online

2. Call bag end and ask them. Ask them all of your questions.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Or call a local speaker recone shop and see if they can get a kit for a Baby Blue 8" speaker.

4. A speaker repair company can just replace the foam surround. Look for live sound companies in your area, most do their own speaker repairs and offer service to the public. The speaker ain't gone yet!

5. Thanks guys, I'll take it down to 'Just Hi-Fi'

I was just worried that maybe reconing it was an asinine idea worthy of rumpled eyebrows at the shop lol

6. If the cone and voice coil are ok, no need to recone. Just replace the surround (the kits are inexpensive).

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1, but don't do just the one. The others will soon follow suit, so have them all re-foamed.

8. foam surrounds are about as asinine as every other music related product involving foam. anyone own any vintage Moog synths? Anyone else experienced the black death associated with certain models?
    If possible I would see if you can get a non-foam surround. I have 30 years old speakers that have never been reconed or had surrounds re-done. just say no to foam. (except with lattes or mochas...)

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The foams used 30 years ago and more deteriorated over time. They had no way of knowing that they would do so until they had been in use for 20 years or so. Once they found out, admittedly the hard way, the foam composition was changed and it's no longer a problem.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    foam was a problem in old b-15's as well. they used to use it to isolate the grillcloth from rattling into the baffle, but it turned to dust over time and that's why you see all these old fliptops with big stains on the grillcloths in front of the speaker.

has nothing to do with anything in the thread, but it's interesting ;)