1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osonu, Feb 4, 2016.

1. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    SoCal in the IE
    I recently picked up a Carvin LB70 that sounded pretty good even though the (round wound) strings were obviously shot. I couldn't wait to hear the bass with some decent strings. All I had on hand were some Cleartones that a friend gave me for Christmas, so even though I tend to prefer flat wounds, I figured "let's give them a try".

Well, the E string was totally dead, but the rest sounded monster on that bass- great output, pretty good tone. Went to GC and showed (yes, they made me bring the bass in) the dead string and they offered to exchange them, but I paid the difference to get the same La Bella Deep Talkers that I have on my p bass. Now, the bass stills sounds good, but the output dropped seriously. I don't remember this happening with my p bass- but, on the other hand, I was pretty new at the time.

Also, the action is a good bit higher. I thought the flats must be pulling harder on the neck, but when I measured the neck adjustment it was good, so how did putting flats on raise the action? Could the higher action be the reason for the lower output? The set-up was spot on when I bought it (according to the original paperwork I got with the bass). Is this normal when switching to flats?

I would have tried lowering the bridge already, but it needs a smaller allen wrench than I have (.050"). Thanks in advance for any help!

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It's normal when switching to any strings with higher tension than the ones they replaced.

3. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    SoCal in the IE
    But if the tension was the reason, wouldn't the measurement of the neck relief changed?

Also, how would that account for the lower output?

Update- found an old set of round wounds and the sound/output is back, so I guess flats just put out that much less?

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    YES!!

Play a bass with rounds unplugged.
    You can hear it.

Play a bass with flats unplugged.
    It's hard to hear.
    Plus most flats tend to have higher string tension than rounds.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016