Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Is it ok to make the needle on my Ashdown go into the red, but keep the output volume low, so all that opower doesn't go straight into the speaker and destroy it?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Independantly from the output level, too much entry level will distort the signal, and this is bad for the speakers.

JL

3. Read the manual. :)

4. Incidentally, if you don't have or have lost the manual, it is available in PDF format from the Ashdown website.

Good luck. :)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya, the manual is your friend. i'm guessing the needle is a preamp level indicator. there's nothing wrong with distorting your input signal if you like the way it sounds, but you'll probably dig the tone better by keeping the needle out of the red. i'm assuming you're using a bass with a hot output signal, and that's why you're seeing it go into the red when you turn the preamp gain up.

6. I just about nailed the tone without going into the red zone, so it's all ok now.

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Now we can all sleep at night.