Is this possible? Dual coil x Jaguar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BioDriver, Feb 26, 2019.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm pricing and specing out a potential bass build and want something passive with insane tonal options, a la Roscoe Beck. I freaking love the way Jaguar basses look and felt like I'd be able to get away with a similar setup by taking advantage of the three switches on the bottom horn. Basically, I want to use either Nordstrand Dual Coils (preference) or Seymour Duncan NYC dual coils. The top switch would be a single/dual coil selector for the neck pickup, the middle switch would be the same for the bridge pickup, and the third switch would be a series/parallel selector. Each pickup would get stacked volume/tone knobs, and the third hole would be the input.

Despite my best efforts, I am horribly incompetent with a soldering iron and don't know a thing about wiring schematics, so while I think this is a stupid cool concept I have no idea how feasible it is. Could any of you legends help me out?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

BioDriver likes this.
  3. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Solid start, but one thing I forgot to mention is that for the Jag control plate, you can only fit DPDT switches in the slots - three position on-on-on switches are too long. Ideally, I'd wire it like the Roscoe Beck, but if I want to keep the Jag motif and use the control plate I don't know where I'd find 3-position switches that are the same size as a DPDT switch.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX

Attached Files:

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you coil split it could get noisy, unless you have both pickups on full volume.
    The way the drawing currently is you'd have series/parallel for each pickup & then series/parallel between the pickups.
    note that parallel remains hum-bucking

BioDriver likes this.
  6. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Perhaps the top horn switch plate that generally has 2 sideways pots and 1 switch could fit a 3 way slider switch in one of the "potholes" as they are a bit longer than the switch holes

BioDriver likes this.
  7. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very good point! I was going to keep it passive and only use the bottom horn plates, but I could slap a Gibson-style 3-way switch on the upper horn very easily. Would doing this rather than the individual volume/tone pots help reduce noise?

8. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Also, I found some custom Jag plates that can fit a pair of on/on/on slide switches, so I could put the pickup series/single/parallel switches there and use a Gibson 3-way switch on the upper horn to basically get the same switching options as a Roscoe Beck without the weight.

AND Warmoth can custom route bodies and Jazzmaster pickguards for this!

giphy.gif