Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, May 18, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been wondering lately if there is a system (or ever has been) that would allow you to independently process the signal provided by each individual string. To give an example; I typically can find a brilliant EQ setting for my E and A strings, but that typically makes my D and G strings overly harsh/nasal/etc. I'll compensate for those strings, and then lose what I liked so much on the E and A strings.

The only things that spring to mind would be some sort of a piezo setup that isolates the string vibrations to the individual piezo and then sent them to independent output jacks for each string. The other would be the lightwave pickup system, but I'll admit that I don't fully understand how those work.

Is there anything that could make this happen (and hopefully without using 4 output jacks for a 4-string bass :p
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, this would be easy with a p-bass. Just separate the two pickups and send them to a stereo jack.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    True enough.... that's actually much simpler than I had thought.... Its funny how its so easy to overlook the simplest things.

Okay, now that raises a very interesting thought. Since the DiMarzio Model J is a side-by-side humbucker in a J style case, I wonder if it would be possible to split the EA and DG sides of the pickups apart and send them to separate jacks...... Now you've got me thinking.....
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Doesn't the Yamaha Attitude Billy Sheehan signature bass do something kinda like that, what with the stereo outputs?
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This came up the other day in one of the other forums here.

check this out:

This Japanese company makes single string pickup cells.

[​IMG] SHOP.html

They sell them individually...check out half way down the page...