1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this the right amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjy444, Mar 16, 2009.

1. tjy444

tjy444

Feb 10, 2009
    I am a highschooler that plays electric and amplified doublebass for my school (hockey, football, and basketball pep-band, jazz band, and jazz combo). The amp at my schoo is a junky three channel Peavy KB amp from the early 90's and is not going to replace it anytime soon. I want to buy my own amp. I am looking at the Behringer-BX4500HBA410-Half-Stack-Package. It sells for about $549. Is this the right amp for me or should I be looking for something else? I am willing to spend up to $600. Any information would be great!!!:help:

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I would suggest a used combo or head/cab from the classified section here. For $549 used, you can get a fine combo, or a head and a cab, that will be better quality than the Behringer.

I suggest something like a Gallien Krueger 400RB head into an Avatar or Peavey 410 cab. Will surpass soundwise and out durable the Behringer by a wide margin.

Be patient, and you will find great deals here.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed. Not only here but Craigslist, Ebay, whatever. I've seen some sweet used rigs people have put together for $600 that will blow away the Behringer rig you're looking at.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you don't drive, you'll find that a 410 cab will limit your ability to get rides. You'd be better with a smaller cabinet that fits lots of cars.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you use your amp for all those gigs, you should get something very portable so you can load in/load out in one trip. Will you have to leave your amp at school? If you're playing outside (football) or in gyms where there are poor acoustics, just about anything you get will get lost in the mix.

How many watts is the Peavey amp? What size speaker?

If the amp is working okay, maybe the speakers are shot?

Maybe you can used the amp head and then get a couple of used, lighweight 1x12s that you can take to gigs might do the trick. Or a 2x10 or 2x12? Save some cash as well.

Just a thought....

6. the engine

the engine Guest

I'm with these guys. At least you have something to play through for now. For that reason alone you are not in a hurry. So relax and look around. Even in your state the Craigslist should be pretty good. Good luck!