1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this to be expected from a "900 dollar" instrument?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobaSeth, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Keep it, deal with the flaws and eventually upgrade the electronics

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Send it back and get something cheaper from a different brand

54 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. BobaSeth

BobaSeth

Apr 30, 2016
    Maybe I'm just being picky, but this looks pretty gruesome to me. Just got this bass yesterday, brand new. I put 900 in quotes because I got it cheaper since it was an older model.
    Anyway, its an Ibanez SR805, I LOVE the neck. I'm concerned about a few quality issues.
    Also, while I love playing it, and I like the bedroom tone (haven't had a chance to play in a group setting yet), the output is EXTREMELY low and I THINK it's getting quieter, despite a new battery.
    What do you guys think, would you keep it or take it back?
    For the price I paid for it (600), I'm not going to find much else, but even at the price I paid, I would hope for better quality control than this. Or is this just how it is with Ibanez these days?
    pic doesn't show well, neck pickup is level, bridge pickup is heavily canted back toward bridge. no adjustment for angle
    S7aKooY.
    they say the finish is supposed to have these dents, the description doesn't tell you that, but the follow up emails said that all of them come like that
    0cPCiFA.
    oF5thkp.
    and this doesn't make me very happy either for an instrument at that price
    ifxaTk8.
    so am I just nitpicking, or for the price, should I expect more at that price point?
    Financially I'm very limited, I have no cash to spare, and the only way I got this was on my credit card that I can only use at that dealer. So if I return it, I have to pick something for 600 or less.

EatS1stBassist and Bassist Jay like this.
  2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I don't think that is ok. If you wanted something in that shape you probably would've bought a used bass.

3. Those Ibanez basses with the almost nonexistent finish always have those dips and lines in them. It's in the wood

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I would expect better.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Well, if you're not happy with it, send it back. If it was me, and I liked the feel, and the sound, and already had 300 off the normal street price, I'd keep it. But it's your money and your bass, so do what you are going to be happy with.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. Pickup just needs more foam underneath it. 10 minute fix.

Control cavity got some hand tools work because it's cover wasn't sitting flush, and you can't see it.

Finish is kinda gross--I would return it and keep hunting for a deal on a gloss finish Ibanez. They are usually very nice.

7. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    That finish is truly amateurish. You wouldn't even see that on a Squier.

8. Dents and scratches on that type of finish should be expected but it is a little unusual on a new instrument.

9. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    I'm not sure but it looks as if a "used, open box" bass was sent to you. You said it was new. I'm not sure it is, looks like someone bought it, screwed with it and sent it back. I have an Ibanez with a similar finish but not dented and cracked like that.

I've learned not to order from a certain online retailer, as they sell their returned items as new. I went through this on three different basses with this company. It's pretty obvious they are doing this as the boxes were retaped, hang tags are missing, plastic cling on plastic parts are missing, fingerprints, dust and dings and scratches as well as additional shipping and handwritten labels applied.

Needless to say they are no longer my Friend.

Return the bass, hopefully you can get a "new" replacement. Ibanez is better than what you received.

10. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I tend to agree, that’s not a new instrument.

I don’t know much about Ibanez basses, but I’ve picked up a bunch of new ones and they all looked like quality fit and finish, not like the instrument in those pics.

You’d have to have developed quite an affinity for that bass or just be in the position to really need it to hold onto it as a new instrument. Which isn’t a bad thing. The unlevel pup can be straightened easily enough. The finish marks are strictly cosmetic.

Your call, at this point.

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Are you plugging into high or low gain input.
    If plugged into high try low.

You appear to be less than thrilled with it. Are you trying to convince yourself that you like it? Not being a smart ass, just my observation.
    My opinion
    Send it back.

Keep shopping

quickfix and BobaSeth like this.
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nope! Send it back.

BobaSeth, Rezdog and GBassNorth like this.
  13. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Sometimes the input jack is really still on Ibanez basses, just try and give it an extra little push after you think you have it all the way in. I have to do that with a couple of mine

14. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Send it back on principle, or if you really like the feel and sound then ask for some compensation. A couple hundred back your way, then how would you feel about it?

BobaSeth likes this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Don't settle for anything that doesn't make you happy... I don't care if it cost half what you paid. See what your 'friend' says about it... if they truly want to help, okay... if they talk you out of your concerns... not okay. I would hope a store credit card would still offer you some protection against deficiencies, as such...

16. If you don't like it now, you never will.
    Say bye-bye.

17. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    If the dents were not disclosed in the listing, or known prior to purchase, send it back.

It also sounds to me very much like a bad preamp, also a good reason to send back. The output off my Ibanez 506 is almost stupid hot.(different pre's I know, but AFAIK no active bass should have low output and seem to be losing output with a new battery. Although that does suggest where the problem may lie in the electronics...)

If you are in love with the neck shape, I'd get another one from another dealer, new or used. By most accounts, this is a good-to-great series of basses.

18. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    My last purchase was a “blemished” open-box instrument that looked better than that (never did find the blemish). The control cavity chipping is just bizarre.

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good point... OP, what did the bottom of the control panel look like? Evidence of over-sprayed finish sticking to bottom? Tell me I don't see a hairline crack in the second pic...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  20. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I wouldn't keep it.

Papazita likes this.