1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this truss rod nut cracked? (pics)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Picked up a used Fender MIM bass for very little $$, it has a known truss rod issue. Seller stated that when he tried to tighten the rod, it would only go so far and then the allen wrench would do something funny.

I'm guessing the truss rod nut is cracked (in three places?) which would account for this. Problem is, I can't loosen the nut enough to remove it. I'm guessing the nut is cracked-expanded and this is why it won't back out.

Comments?

Any suggestions on removing it?

If I can get it out, whats the chance can I find a new nut that would fit on a MIM Fender a few years old?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Clamping the neck into a back bow will relax the tension on the rod. This should make removing the nut easier.

The nut is a regular stock Fender part. Any dealer can order one.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Find an allen wrench you're not particularly fond of, smear some high powered epoxy on the end and ram it in that nut's piehole. Wait 24 hours and back it on out.

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
  5. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Yes I was thinking of screwing a bolt into the nut as well, and tapping it out as you did. However, I am concerned about tightening the nut back onto the truss rod in the process of this clockwise motion. Did you use a machine bolt? Wood screw?

thanks

6. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    The nut is already spinning free from the rod, it has just expanded too much from cracking. Thanks though.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I used a machine screw - since the clearance hole has a plastic insert, I got plenty of grip on the nut without rethreading it. A wood screw that got a couple of threads in would work fine too. Since the nut already has expanded, it'll tend to resist rethreading onto the rod. It's rubbing on the plastic insert.

8. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Thanks Chuck. I went to Home Depot and found the right size machine threaded rod about 32" long. With some nuts and a piece of pipe, I made a ram whereby; after I screwed the rod into the truss nut, I slid a 6" piece of pipe over the rod, and then bolted a large fender washer onto the rod, and then slid the pipe up and down ramming the threaded rod outward. It worked so well the plastic insert came out! The truss nut is still frozen in place within the plastic insert.

Now to find another truss nut to fit this old neck. Not even sure the truss rod will straighten out the huge back bow but it's worth a try.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Wow, that nut exploded, it didn't just crack. I got my neck to adjust to playable with spacers, but I'll probably have to pull the truss rod or replace the neck at some point. I suspect my PO dribbled some WD-40 or something into the neck and softened the wood.

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Yeah it cracked in three places, but how would I know for sure? It's still inside the plastic tube !!!!! Geeeeezuz.

I'm hoping a new nut will bring this reallly nice neck under control. So you just use any old washer that will fit in there as a spacer eh?

11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Pretty much. You can use split lockwashers that will fit, and the guitar parts places also sell purpose-made spacers. There aren't too many stock flat washers whose pattern will fit into the space at the end of the truss rod, but if you have a good hardware store nearby you might find something.