1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It was Twenty-Six Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Mar 17, 2009.

1. March 17, 1983: I took delivery of a new Fender Jazz Bass from Veneman Music in Rockville, MD. I called there looking for a Jazz Bass and the guy who answered the phone said they'd just got in a new line of Fender reissues and I should see them. I wanted a used 70's jazz Bass but every time I got to one it got sold out from under me.

My bandleader didn't think I could play fretless bass and sing at the same time (he was right!), and he needed me to sing. So..I traded a 1980 fretless P-bass and some cash for the bass in question.

It was called a '62 Vintage' even though it had stacked pots. No one knew what a 'Fullerton' was in those days.

This is what it looked like about 2001...

geffy2_du.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hmmm. Maybe she should have a shamrock decal on the pickguard. At least for today! ;) Happy Anniversary!

3. way cool man. does she still play great?

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's very cool. I bet you're happy that (a) the salesman talked you into it and (b) you've held on to it all this time. I bought a fantastic Fullerton '57 reissue P two years ago--man, I wish I'd had bought this new in '83, that's about when I started playing!

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    Sargent Peppers taught his band to play?

... oh its a bass.. nice i guess ... lol

6. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Lovely Bass

I miss Venemans...

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I bought a mid 70's bass (used) that came from Veneman's from the original owner (still have the bass and the recipt)

It came with a neck plate with no serial number
    Spoke with counter guy Harry (who married the old man's gradn daugther)
    Aparenly the sold grey market Fenders; they weren't an authorized dealer and had to remove the serial number plates prior to sale
    I guess the day of the single, family style store is gone

8. Sonic65

Sonic65

Jul 19, 2008
    Jacksonville,Fl
    Wow- what a blast from the past! I bought my first "good" bass, a black P, from Veneman's in Beltway Plaza in '73. About $200.00 brand new. Those were the days...