1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's decoration time.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saarik, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Saarik

Saarik

Oct 27, 2011
    Well hello

I have the most boring, common or garden veriety bass out there, the classic £50 Swift:

51mBTv91Q0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't worry, I also have a Thunderbird Pro IV, I'm not stuck with two single coils in a plank of wood ;)

I want to dress the Swift up a bit and maybe sell it on (I guess an [DEL]odd[/DEL] cool looking Bass will fetch a bit more), but I need ideas!

I was thinking something to do with black tiger style stripes across the body with an LED or two in the scratchplate :D

any ideas welcome.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I would not think that tiger stripes or LED's would get more money. In fact, I think it would decrease the value significantly, especially the stripes

3. Decorating it won't increase its value. I'd decorate it, love it, and maybe pass it on to someone looking to play bass. :D

4. The PU is one double-coil, not two singles. :)

5. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    I would hit that with all of my punk rock stickers, and i would become a connection to my childhood! Later on I would probably put a better pup in it if it felt alright to play otherwise...

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Are you NUTS? Leave it alone it beautiful!

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You've already said it...a tiger face on the body and pickguard with LEDs in the eyes.

8. Saarik

Saarik

Oct 27, 2011
    Well actually the basses that were going for noticeably more on eBay were the... 'original' looking ones. I'm not saying it'd make it more valuable, oh no. But I guess people were looking for something a little different

I wasn't thinking COVER the bass in taccy stuff, just decorating a little and neatly :)

and thank you ;)

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Were going for more? Or went for more? That's a big difference. You can ask for more, but if it's not selling it doesn't matter.

I think it depends on the audience and the instrument too.

Take a stock Fender P and put an "original" paint job on it and I highly doubt you'd be getting the same money than if it were untouched. Unless it was some sort of excellent refin in a color that is somewhat tough to find, like Fiesta Red.

10. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I second that motion. Looks perfect to me.

11. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    The way it is, it has value because whoever buys it can decorate it the way THEY want.

If you decorate it first, it will only appeal to those who like your decorations.

Therefor, it has more value undecorated.

Does a used car have more or less value if the rear end is covered with bumperstickers?

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Kinda like when you're selling a house. Just because you like RED walls in your bedroom, doesn't mean the prospective buyer will share your taste.

13. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    If it plays well I'd keep it, modify it, enjoy it! Nobody gonna give ya anything for it anyway. I was just given a chinese knock of precision. Its beat up, but that's perfect for what I want it for... punk rock stylee.

14. Saarik

Saarik

Oct 27, 2011
    Went.

and you better believe it :p

I bet you I could get probably £10 off the original price, I have been doing my homework on eBay.
    and it plays like a brick.

So no other ideas? :\ I have to say, my one doesn't quite look as nice as the stock photo on their site, so it's really not a vision of beauty :p

15. Dingo 8 my bass

Dingo 8 my bass

Feb 2, 2012
    a good brick, or bad brick?

16. Saarik

Saarik

Oct 27, 2011
    a brick with strings. Dunno, but I think that's pretty bad, bricks don't have much of a musical reputation

17. Saarik

Saarik

Oct 27, 2011
    so any suggestions for design/pattern/anything..?

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Tort pickguard. Done.

19. Or gold or black pg.

20. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I would go with the full on BEDAZZLE treatment!! Rinstones, glidder hearts, tassels, the works. Now that's PUNK!! If I seen a grown man playing that I would think "He don't give a f#$k"!!!