Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iTunes question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Apr 19, 2005.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why, when I attempt to play a tune through iTunes, does it play choppy? There is a pulsating clicking throughout the audio. I assume it is related to Quicktime, as previous to installing iTunes, any file run through Quicktime did the same thing.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like there isn't sufficient RAM memory available,
    or the processor may be too slow if it happened during quicktime, is my guess.

The tune kind of stops till it catches up... you see that on
    mpeg video files as well.

If you have a lot of resident background programs on the computer, virus protection, AIM and so forth running and taking up available RAM, you might try closing some of them to see if this helps.

3. Yes, if you know enough about what programs are actually necessary to run a system, close the unnecessary ones. If you want the best solution, its probably best to buy some more RAM, depending on how much you have. BTW, how much do you have?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya know I have heard quite a few reports of people experiencing audio anomalies in itunes on windows based systems, usually they have dated systems or lacking RAM or whatever. But in theory it shouldn't be a big problem, I can only conclude that when they ported iTunes to windows they didn't do as good a job as they could have, and/or due to architectural differences between OS X and windows, and the way that itunes operates in the first place creates some sort of disparity that can cause problems.

iTunes runs flawlessly even on my 4 year old iMac and that thing is a dinosaur. Even on some powerful PC systems I've seen audio problems occur, but only when the CPU is being taxed heavily or RAM is being used up on something else.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think outdated processor/not enough RAM may be the issue. I have a Compaq EVO w P4 2.0ghz w 512M running Win2k and Itunes runs like a champ, even with a few other programs running. :cool:

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm not totally sure that's the problem. I don't normally experience problems that I would relate to RAM/processor problems. Further, I tried closing everything I could, and still, the problem.

Also, I should note, the audio also seems scratchy.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's not the age nor power, I run QT and iTunes on ancient machines (pII's with 128mb ram) no problem. I'm guessing there is some compatibility issue with something else on the machine. I'd just google it, seems like enough people have had this problem that your bound to find something.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Have you played the music file through Winamp or another music player? Have you tried the file on a different machine? (To rule out a corrupt/crappy file)

Some motherboards share IRQs. This doesn't cause a problem unless you have two devices accessing the IRQ at the same time. Like you wouldn't want your mouse and soundcard on the same IRQ. One thing you could try is to put your soundcard in a different PCI slot. If you're running Win2K or higher, you'll need to right-click on My Computer, click on the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button, then right-click on the computer icon at the top of the hierarchy, then click the Refresh item.

I haven't done this in WinXP so I don't know if the navigation is the same. I did run into a problem with shared IRQ and moving the soundcard into a different slot solved the problem for me. This was on an Abit motherboard, other motherboards may not share IRQs.

I don't have a PC at home anymore so I'm doing this all from memory. You may want to get the hardware refresh navigation down before moving your soundcard around. Or, you may want to try other solutions first. :)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My bad, I should have mentioned that. Files of any type will play through any other audio or video software without any problems.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Try screwing around with the settings in Quicktime?

After looking around online, it looks more and more like a shoddy job by Apple porting for XP. Most people seem to be hoping it's fixed in the next version.

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well QT7 will be officially released for Mac in OS X Tiger on 4/29. Hopefully Apple will release the PC version at the same time.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let me ask a couple of stupid questions then.

1) Can I still purchase songs through iTunes, and play them through my mp3 player online, (JetAudio)?

2) Would this affect capatability with an iPod? (I wouldn't think so, but you never know).

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There are no stupid questions:

1) JetAudio wouldn't directly be able to play purchased files, since iTMS files are protected AAC files. You could work around this by burning your purchased music to CD, then reimporting as mp3 files. This may degrade the sound quality but I don't know by how much.

2) You could still copy your purchased music to your iPod. Your iPod shouldn't have any problems playing the AAC files. You would still need to do the file transfer through iTunes.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Isn't there already "3rd party" software that eliminates the need to burn to cd then convert? I was sure I'd read something about that.

15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yes, but since the legality of that software is up in the air I chose not to mention it. :) I'm sure a Google search would find it in a jiffy though.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Probably a good policy.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, get this.

I use JetAudio normally to play music on the computadora. I went into the settings, where it says Advanced/Player, I unchecked a box that had Quicktime checked, and now iTunes, (and Quicktime in general), play fine.

Go figure.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Glad to hear you fixed your problem.

On an unrelated note, your user title helped me get a Cranium question correct last weekend. If you hadn't used the word oenophile in your title I wouldn't have been curious to know what it meant. Then it turned up in a Cranium definition question and the wife and I won the match! So thanks man! :D

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's actually really cool.

20. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Totally. I love learning new words. :)