Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've Narrowed it down!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 19, 2006.

1. The Sansamp Bass Driver... the new one (200 bucks)

40.8%
  2. The Peavey T-40 (average 200 bucks ebay, 129-300ish)

30.6%
  3. The Carrot (200 bucks)

28.6%
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, you've have to withstand a barrage of "how should I spend my money" threads from me as of late. I've narrowed it down to TWO and only two options.

My sound right now isn't what I want. When I bought my Dean bass, I was all about slapping/popping/fingerstyle funk. That was it. The times they are a becoming quite different.

I'm going through a tonal reversal, which is to say, while most bassist seem to be going forward tonally, I want to head back to the 70s! I've become disgusted with the clean/polished bass sounds of the likes of Victor Wooten. I understand the reason for that tone is clarity, so you can make out each flurry of notes.

Now, my arguement was improving my amp... A 220 Watt Crate Head and a Crate cab with 4x10. BuUuuut I simplified and cheapified and narrowed it down to the Sansamp Bass Driver.

BuUUUuuuUUt on Ebay, I can own one of my favorite sounding basses ever, The Peavey T-40! I think of it as a cheap Ric knockoff, but I love this bass. I owned a broken one, I'd like to buy one that works with both Pickups! It's built like a tank, it sounds like a tank, it's heavy as a tank.

NOTE: I do have a decent distortion setup, so I don't need the Sansamp for distortion/overdrive. More for the tone it provides. Just something to factor in.

Sort of a twist on the age old "Bass vs. Amp." Sort of.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hope you know a lot of audiences still living in the 70s.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I do, surprisingly.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Dooooood.

Don't get a T-40 unless your girlfriend is a chiropractor.

I paid $100 for one, back in the early '80's, and used it for around a year. I still feel like I got ripped off.

The sound is distinctive, true...but soooooooo not worth it.

The weight will haunt your nightmares.

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I say go for your favorite bass!

The SansAmp you can get anytime and the carrots are out in the garden!

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    It was tough I was going back and forth between the T-40 and the carrot... I then walked away for a few minutes to clear my head and came back.. I then meditated on the issue and called my local religious leaders... we have all decided.. Carrot.

7. Well, crap. For that money, take out a short-term loan and get both. Then sell the one you don't want for more than you paid. (Paint it first...;) ) Then take the extra and buy a bag of carrots and you're home free!

Gotta love the free enterprise system!:D

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know, I know. But I'll get a really thick strap, and.... stretching exersises or something....

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The SansAmp can give you nice replication of a vintage SVT sound...with out the vintage tube amp hassle. The programmable one is pretty sweet cause it gives you 3 channels to choose from.

I just sold mine, reason being I prefer my Fulltone Bass-drive for adding that gritty vintage tube tone. I use it with about 1/3 of the drive it produces and it sounds vintage as hell with my G&L L2000. You might wanna check one out if you get a chance.

Oh yea, I'd go for the bass...used SansAmps are a dime a dozen.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Matt, restringing with D'Addario Chromes might give you a throwback sound w/o having to shell out that much cash. That is, assuming you're using rounds...

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Is it a throwback sound that is... heavy? Like the John Wetton (King Crimson years) type sound? Because I want "Vintage heavy."

12. How can anyone compete with the carrot?

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    There will be other T-40's on ebay. Get the SABDDI now.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    With your distortion/OD you could probably pull that tone off with some flats. I'm not sure what Wetton used for that gritty, up all in yo' grill tone for KC.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The sansamp jumped in the lead.

200 dollar carrots taste like sunshine

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    get a bass made of carrot, with built in OD.

Tah-Dah!

17. Reminded me of something. One time I was in Morrison Brothers Music and I wanted to play this Lakland. Well I ask the guy and he pulls it down and then starts playing it himself while talking . He says " yeah , this bass is great , great vintage jazz tone bro. you can go for that Vintage Geddy sound or that Vintage Lemmy sound or that Vintage Jaco sound." So i finally get the bass and Im feelin mean so I turn everything up to max and start be obnoxious with it. He says " Dude what are you doing?" I say " I'm trying to get that vintage Sid Vicious Tone" He got mad. Same dude also made a comment about tone that was chunky like Campells soup. He thought he was slick. I thought he was dumb.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wait... he didn't show you how "awesome" he was at slap. Everytime a music store clerk "shows me a bass" they play some out of time slap. That is one of the few times I find my "shredding" extremely important. When he hands me the bass, I'll bust out an impressive/in time slap riff.

You just know they are guitarists primarily.

I love how that bass can sounds like Geddy, Lemmy and Jaco.... three very different tones... even though 2 of them play Rics, they all have very (in Jaco's case) VERY different tone.

19. Yeah , but I wasn't gonna say nothing to him , Im 5'9 150lbs, he was like 6'4 5katrillion pounds. He might of eaten me.

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd get the bass, because, like, getting a new instrument is like, cool and stuff.

No really, I'd get the bass!