1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IYE, will Markbass CMD 121P work...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Randy Warren, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Randy Warren

Randy Warren

Oct 26, 2008
    for a club-sized gig? Average size room, say, from 60 in one club, to 200 in a slightly larger club? Just wondering if I need to bring a cab extension or my larger 210 Markbass combo. Would sure like to keep it to one trip from the car... thanks

2. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Depends on the style of music, and, is there any PA support? I assume you mean just on it's own.
    I have done many gigs with mine just as you describe, but they were usually of the acoustic/singer-songwriter sort of thing--worked great--didn't even have the amp up halfway (especially the ones where I was on a resonant stage).
    I've used mine just a a stage monitor for more high-volume/dense musical settings and it worked great for that too.

3. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    The LMII head (which is in your combo amp) can certainly handle a medium sized gig. The 1X12 cab my be a little light though depending on how loud you play. I'd get (or borrow, whatever) a 1X15 or 2X10 cab and string it into your combo to give it the extra umph. Pay attention to your ohms of course.

4. Randy Warren

Randy Warren

Oct 26, 2008
    thanks, I have noticed that this combo can get loud, but it is a bit lean on the bass end, I hooked the LMII to an SVT-15E, wow, did it sound good, really good! I would like that kind of sound without the weight of the 15E, any suggestions? (BTW, that was only to the 15E, the internal 12" was disconnected..)

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I personally would not do it. You might get away with it, but tonally it would just sound way better with an extension.

I find the epi ps112 is an excellent extension for the cmd121p.

BTW, get a folding dolly and you should be able to get your combo and ext in one trip. Thats what I do with my rig and it works very well.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Not long ago I played a MarkBass LM II head into two of MarkBass' 115P cabs... "absolutely great!"
    I've not heard the new MarkBass NY-115P cabs but they look to be good also.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, you pretty much hit on it. Loud but a little lean on the bass end. You can put some of that back with EQ, but the best solution is an extension cab. They make an identical 112 for that combo called the New York 121. They're fantastic if you have a quick and dirty gig, like if you're doing a double and need to be set up and torn down fast, and they will hang with a fairly loud band. But they benefit greatly from an extension cab.

8. Randy Warren

Randy Warren

Oct 26, 2008
    thanks, all, I guess an extension will be in order if I pass the audition!

9. Randy Warren

Randy Warren

Oct 26, 2008
    OK, to add to this, would 2 of the mini 12's work well? The reason I ask is that I got my last one for $700, that seems like a price that can be had and is very good considering that you are getting a 12" cab along with a LMII head. Also, what is the best way to play such a 2 combo setup, run both combos from one of the amps, ie., use one amp to power both combo speakers, or to feed the signal from one combo amp into another combo amp. BTW, I like the idea of having 2 combos insofar as you also have a built-in backup amp if anything goes south...thanks!

10. if it is questionable, rather take the extension and not have to worry about pushing the amp or hurting the speaker just incase

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Either way will work well. The tuner out makes that easy.

12. or u could get get 2 combos AND 2 extension cabs and rule the world ;-)

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just a note about using two combos.... your tone will be more midrangey with two combos vs one combo and the NY121 cab. This is because the combo has less internal volume (due to the space the amp uses) than the NY121... even though the outside dimensions are the same, the internal volume is different.

Something to consider perhaps.

14. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    I use the CMD 121H. I just picked up a Traynor TC112 - 300w 1x12' as an extension cab. Although I would have prefered the Traveller 121, this Traynor cab is also lightweight (25 Lbs) and almost the same as the Traveller 121. But here was the deal breaker. It was about $300 cheaper.

Now I am running 500 Watts at 4 Ohms (2 8 Ohm speakers in total). This has all the balls I need now for gigs...

15. Randy Warren

Randy Warren

Oct 26, 2008
    thanks again, all, good stuff to think about... like the traynor idea, have to look into that one...