J J J Bass Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by countbassiedad, Oct 10, 2011.

1. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Anyone done a J J J bass starting with a regular J bass and then adding a third J pup in the "mudbucker" position?

I am adding a mudbucker to my P bass and am thinking about adding a third J pup to my jazz.

The main question I have is about hum cancellation. If I stick with single coils, do I want to use a bridge pup in the far neck position (so that it would hum cancel in the normal way when I run the middle and far neck together)?

I did not measure yet, but am guessing the pole spacing would be closer if I used a J neck pup. If I did that do I just have to reverse the polarity of the leads to make it hum cancel with the middle?

Thanks.

2. You could do it Strat style, with the middle pickup RWRP from the neck and bridge. The neck and bridge will not humcancel together, however.

Simply swapping the leads of a pickup will put the signal out of phase with the signals from the other pickups, giving you a very thin tone. You need to also reverse the magnet polarity.

Perhaps you should consider humbuckers.

3. im not super technicaly minded on the subject.but, outside of MAJOR mods. its still gonna sound like a j bass. ive tried everything, and they always sound more or less the same. just my experience.

4. The godin shifter has 3 single coil pickups and I haven't heard people complain about hum with them.

Perhaps you could look into the setup of the Shifter?

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Musicman Big Al 5. Passive, Active, 3 bad arse pickups.

[​IMG]

6. Don't some of the MM basses have dummy coils?

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't think so, I believe all their narrow-aperture pickups are actually stacked.

8. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Big Al

Pickups:
    Standard - Single Humbucking with ceramic magnets;
    Optional - Triple Single coil Neodymium magnets

9. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Thanks for the comments. I'll probably add a mudbucker to my P first and then maybe do Mud/P/J to the Jazz at some point.

10. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    I opted for mudbucker/sidewinder....

IMG_5242.gif

11. Yes, I actually just had a thread about this three days ago. There is still an unanswered question in it, and if someone can help me with it, I can start drawing up plans, and hopefully get started on the bass soon.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021