J pickups similar to Lollar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Speterc, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Speterc

Speterc

May 22, 2017
    Hello

Contemplating a new jazz bass build (Warmoth parts). I have Jason Lollar single coils in a fretless jazz, and also a fretted jazz now and love them .

I find them clear, clean, warm, not overly bright. What other pickups do people find similar?

Just a bedroom warrior here, so just looking for a slightly different flavor I guess .

Thanks!

Shawn

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Lindy Fralin

3. Speterc

Speterc

May 22, 2017
    I actually didn't get along well with the Fralins I had in a jazz. To me, they were a little too much in the high end. I do think they are hotter than Lollars. Good pickups, just not for me.

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Shawn. Though I own a set of Lollar J bass pickups, I have yet to play them. But for a different flavor of "clear, clean, warm, not overly bright", try a set of Florance Pickups JB 60s GR. I review them briefly here.

PawleeP likes this.
  5. Speterc

Speterc

May 22, 2017
    Cool Snaxter. IllI look those up, thanks!

6. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I have the same response to the Fralin vs Lollar sound. The others that sound good to me are Dimarzio Js, SD Antiquity or for something a bit different Bartolinis for a smoother sound.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021