1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J-retro users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phatbass30, Aug 30, 2008.

1. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    that's a beautiful bass you got there!!!

2. jshilgebass

jshilgebass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2006
    El Cajon, CA
    I have three basses with John East preamps installed. The one with a J-Retro is a MIM Fender Jazz V; it's the only mod done to that bass so far, but it has made a huge improvement in tone.

Joe Hilgeman

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Here is my fender 60 classic jazz

[​IMG]

I use flatwound and the preamp is color so i can get that massive low end without tweaking the bass EQ on the amp or the j-retro.

Cuts in nicely in the mix when playing in a band, all you need to do is to adjust the mid or the mid freq on the j-retro to get the perfect sound

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    So, it's pics now is it? Right then, get THIS... :D

[​IMG]

5. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    here's my Fender MIJ RI '75

Attached Files:

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's a beauty - I love the rosewood board with blocks.

7. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I fitted one to my old MIA Jazz together with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz p/ups. It still left a wonderfully transparent J tone but with all the active advantages. I really liked that the blend didn't seem to have any phase drop outs or humps and the mid control was brilliant. Unfortunately when switching to passive it didn't sound so great, but at least it was there as a get out of jail free switch as battery changing on the front loaded model was a pain. Having said that I never changed a battery all the time I had it. The company were also super helpful when I phoned them for advice and support both pre and post sale.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, I guess it's pics time. Oh well...

DJ111.jpg

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nice bass. ^^^^^

And hilarious sig. Did someone actually say that seriously?

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
  11. chardbass

chardbass

Oct 21, 2005
    Cool, thanks. Enjoy your new sounds!

12. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I've got a j-retro deluxe with the passive tone control and it not only works slick, my luthier was mightily impressed with the workmanship of it.

I would recommend the deluxe not only because of the passive tone control, but also because the passive tone control operates as an overall tone control so you can have your basic settings and darken, or brighten the overall sound to fit the room.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

13. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    010808%20032.jpg

Out of all of the preamps I have owned, this is my favorite. I have it in my parts bass with a Geddy Lee body, Nordstrand NJ4 in the neck and MM4.3 routed out in the bridge. I don't use it passively so I was wondering if I can use the toggle switches to convert it to switching the MM4.3 from series to parallel:meh:

14. Frazertech

Frazertech

Sep 22, 2008
    I just bought a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with a J Retro Preamp installed. When I take my hands of the strings, bridge, or control
    plate, I get a nasty hiss. The more I boost the highs, the worse it gets. When I turn the amps tweeter off, it's not too bad. I use a SWR Workingpro 12 at home. Live, I use that and go direct thru a Radial JDI DI, although I have not played this bass live yet. Is this a grounding issue? I check and the ground wire is properly connected. Will I have the same problem playing thru the the DI?
    oh yeah, I also have the same problem in passive mode, but it's barely noticeable.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It rules and rules. See Bassybill's post. Mine's in a Lakland JO5 with Lakland pickups. Oh, you want to see it? OK, I guess. I haven't put it up in a week or so.

PinkJO5web.jpg

Fat bob likes this.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Preamps hiss with the treble boosted. It's the same for preamps in the bass and in the amp. There's no real reason to have your treble boosted that much. It's not a grounding issue, it's a fact of life.

17. this is my superJazz with j-retro 01

full_body.gif

18. Hi Guys! I just ordered my J Retro for my Darryl Jones Skyline. I've heard so many great feedback from this unit so I'm rolling the dice and giving it a try.

I really like the tone I get from my DJ4 right now. Some would say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." But since the DJ4 is now a discontinued model (bummer!), I feel that one day they would also stop making the J Retro for the DJ bass. I've heard it makes a great bass sound even better.

I want to install this myself. Can anyone offer their advice to help me? Is it easy to do? Will I need to solder anything? Tips on how to make this operation go smooth? Any links or advice would greatly help me.

My technical resume: I assembled my own super pimped PC and have build 50mph RC cars.

Thanks is advance.

19. Nice Jazz!!

How do you like the slap tone on that set up?

20. yes I like the slap tone, but I dont like the finger-pick tone, so I'll change my pickup with nordy NJ4 (currently ultraJazz),,, sadly, I must wait about 1 month, because I'm from Indonesia, NO Nordy Dealer Here :(