1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JACK BRUCE- what bass and mainly what strings did Jack Bruce use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Jun 6, 2011.

1. howdy:

I believe Jack Bruce played a Gibson EB-3 bass with Cream.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

what I want to know is, what kind of strings did he use. roundwounds or flatwounds. I am not sure how common round wound strings were back then, but would love input from anyone who knows.

also, what KIND of strings were they... rotosounds? and if you know, not only what brand, but which model.

thanks,
    /s/ Dave

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I believe he played LaBella flats on that bass. hard to tell because of the amount of distortion in his sound, but the earlier stuff he did is cleaner and sounds like flats.

He stresses often that tone is in your fingers. I would say his unique RH style combined with his superb LH technique and distortion is what gets him his sound, his strings probably account for less of his overall tone than many other bassists' do.

He plays S.I.T medium rounds now, FWIW.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  4. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    He certainly used Gibson EB3s live, but at least one album (Disraeli Gears) was a Danelectro Longhorn bass

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

My Hero! I started playing about that time, so he influenced me greatly.

Everyone pretty much used flats until the later 60's when Roto brought out rounds. What's this noise? OH! it's highs!

6. cc9191

cc9191

Sep 11, 2012
    Here's jack bruce playing on zappas album in 1974. Brilliant bass line!

http://youtu.be/yHIhsq9qHPk

Sounds like flats to me, but i'm not 100% on that, could be dead rounds with tone rolled off.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    With Cream he started with the Bass VI. He used a Danelectro for recording parts of Disraeli Gears at least. His main bass until the late '70s was the EB-3. He also used a Dan Armstrong Plexiglass bass on occasion after Cream. He's used an Aria, a Spector, and said he tried out a StingRay. But he s used Warwicks for a good twenty years.

When he was interviewed in Guitar Player Magazine around '76 he said he used LaBella flats, light or medium depending on how he was feeling at the time. He's used SIT rounds for about two decades now.

You want to sound like him? Don't be afraid of mids, hit the strings hard, and get his hands.

John

8. His biography says that he originally used light-gauge LaBella flatwounds so that he could bend notes, then switched to SIT roundwounds, but it doesn't list a specific year.

9. sailor645

sailor645

Aug 13, 2015
    Everything I've seen indicates that his Warwicks were all fretless. No sense worrying about what strings we should use on our fretted basses.