Jack Casady Bass - Pickup Replacement/Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eric jon, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Eric jon

Eric jon

Aug 19, 2020
    Looking for source options to change over cream colored pickup and mounting ring over to black. I don't believe the Gibson parts options are available for this. Any recommendations?

2. Eric jon

Eric jon

Aug 19, 2020
    19061528720-body-xlarge.jpg

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd love to find a black pickup and pg for one of my projects...

4. Black pickguards are out there or are not that hard to make. I believe @Koeda has made some. I don’t know if he’s selling them or not. The pickup is a little more difficult. If you want the low impedance pickup the stock creme colored one is pretty much it. If you want to go way off from stock I think a mini humbucker will fit but take some measurements. There must be an all black guitar mini-bucker out there. The bass will sound different though. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Eric jon likes this.
  5. FlyingPigSound

FlyingPigSound Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Somewhere in a thread here in TB or on FB, is a cat who painted his cream Jackbass pup w/ RC car paint of some type...

Eric jon likes this.
  6. FlyingPigSound

FlyingPigSound Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    FranF and Matt Liebenau like this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    How about thinking outside the box for a moment and try something such as a TV Jones Thunder'Tron? Minor mods may be required.

Thunder'Tron Neck Pickup - Universal Mount

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The real question is what are you going to do with the impedance switch if you change the pickup?

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've had ebay and reverb searches up for at least 5 years with no hits so far.... :(

12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    First thing I did when I got my black JC was to remove the PG, which I think makes it look cheap. And with the PG out of the picture, the cream-colored pup looks better too.

13. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That’s why I bought the modded Bronco with JC electronics in it. I never see them come up and now I have them, with a much easier bass to play stretched to them

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022