1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Jack Read Custom 5-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Fixitinpost, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fixitinpost

Fixitinpost Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Chambered body, Neck-through design. I am the only owner, as this was custom made for me by Jack in 1997. Those of you familiar with Jack’s work will know that this is a quality instrument.

This was my main player from ’97 until 2005. I’ve acquired a number of basses since, and this one isn’t getting any playing time these days. I have far too many basses now, so this one has to go.

Woods: Tiger maple top, bubinga body, 5-piece maple/morado neck, morado fingerboard. Oil finish.

Hardware: Gotoh tuners, Schaller 3-D5 bridge, Corian nut with zero fret, EMG active pickups with bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut and mid boost/cut with selectable center frequency.

Weight is 8.5 on my bathroom scale. String spacing is 17mm at bridge, 10mm at nut, 34" scale.

No scratches, but a few very small dings near the bottom strap button, and some very light belt buckle creases (not scratches) near the control cavity plate.

Balance is very good. No neck dive at all, thanks to the longer upper horn and small headstock. Overall, very comfortable and light.

I would like to get $1200 shipped CONUS (only). This is truly a one-of-a-kind bass, as I don’t think Jack made more than one of any of his basses. And since he’s not building anymore, this is your chance to own one of his exceptional basses.

Read_Fr.
    Read_bk.
    Read_Fr_CU.
    Read_bk_CU.
    Read_HS_Fr.
    Read_HS_Bk.

PayPal, Bank Check or Money Order preferred. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you have about this bass.

2. TravisBickle

TravisBickle

Jan 5, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    Does a case come with this Read? What kind of preamp does it have and it is 9v or 18v?

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    awesome price!

4. Fixitinpost

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Comes with a gig bag, but will be very well packed. The preamp is 9v. I will have to check what kind it is, but I believe it is the EMG preamp that came with the pickups.

5. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    What is the scale length?

6. Fixitinpost

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    It's 34". Forgot about that.

7. Bassist01545

Bassist01545 Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    I presently own one of Jacks Masterpieces and can attest to the fact that his instruments are second to NONE. His attention to detail, quality are among the best in the industry.

Having had the pleasure of playing this bass, I can say it's truly one of a kind and an absolute steal at this price. The neck is as close to perfection as you can get and th etone is unreal

Unfortunately there is one too many strings for my short, fat fingers, or I'd be all over this one

8. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I have the pleasure of owning 2 Jack Read basses. Jack's necks are wonderful and the build quality is excellent. I'm sure someone will be very happy with this bass, that someone would be me if I had the cash. Price is a steal, I wouldn't sell my Reads for twice that price.

9. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    someone should JUMP on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That's pretty. I didn't realize he made basses.

11. TravisBickle

TravisBickle

Jan 5, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    PM sent.

12. Fixitinpost

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    SOLD pending payment. Thanks, guys, for all the kind words about this bass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.