Jack the Bear Transcription

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by musomark, Sep 29, 2005.

1. I've just heard jack the bear for the first time on the Duke Ellington juke box:

WOW :hyper:

Does anyone where I can get a transcription of the bass line.
    Notation or tab - I'm not fussy. I just want to play it!

Many thanks.
  2. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    The solo is transcribed in John Goldsby's "The Jazz Bass Book"

It's a good book to have for a lot of reasons.

Check it out at http://bassbooks.com

3. Many thanks John. I have the book on order from amazon already.

Can't wait to get to get going so I'm transcribing it very slowly - I think I've got the intro sorted. :)
  4. Hi Jason,

Just got the book! :)

I've played through the solo a couple of times and I'm trying to figure out a good fingering. While some bit seem to be playable up the g-string using standard 1-2-4 fingering, much of the solo seems to call for an extended hand position.

Have you any tips about fingering?

Many thanks

5. If you are talking about the opening bars of the solo in A flat I play the root with 2 on the D string and then 1-1-4 on the G string and not 1-2-4. I would keep 3 and 4 working together because that's what high action players probably used to keep those strings down. And Blanton always had a bell like clear tone for the era so he must have a firm but agile left hand.
  6. Thanks for the tip! :)

I've been working the the extension exercises in Ray Brown's Bass method and find I can play comfitably (and in tune) down to the Eb scale - i.e. third position (5th position in BG talk). This means it's feasible for me to play the 1st half of the solo without shifting.

I'm still exploring playing with 1-2-4 fingering all the way through as well.

I feel my intonation is better when I don't shift as much - especially at this speed! ;)

Has anyone else got any thoughts?