Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco Pastorius with Blood, sweat & Tears?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Nov 11, 2003.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    AFAIK he was "discovered" by Bob Colomby, who was BS&T's drummer, but he did not play on a BS&T album.

Colomby got him a record deal and produced his first solo album.

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    :meh:

i'm pretty sure they got that one wrong. AFAIK Jaco never recorded with BS&T, but rather he subbed on a tour for regular bassist Ron McClure. BS&T drummer and leader Bobby Colomby "auditioned" Jaco after a BS&T gig in Ft. Lauderdale, and was so blown away he convinced Columbia Records to let him produce Jaco's solo record, released in 1976. He hired Jaco for the tour sometime around then.

BTW, the guitar player on the BS&T tour with Jaco on bass was this kid from Berklee named Mike Stern. :cool:

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Craig is right! Jaco just did a short tour with them....no recording. I do have the Mike Stern album though....they didn't give him a lot of room, but you could always tell Mikes playing even in those days....as Miles said....some guys got high.....Mike stayed high!!!;)

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    There's a quote from Mike, perhaps in Milkowski's book, about how Jaco used to good-naturedly prod him towards developing his jazz chops. Once he called Mike in his room on that BS&T tour in the middle of the night and yelled "STERN! That solo you played on (whatever tune) did not swing...AT ALL!!!!!"

And then hung up.

Point was taken.

5. Yeah, I'll second that, he didn't record with BS&T but there was the drummer connection and tour...guess who just finished reading their Jaco biography :p

PS: I noticed this Paco thread has only 150 views while the above Blink 182 thread has nigh on 300...things like that sadden me :(

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

paco thread eh?

:p

7. Yup :D
    Jaco Pastorius = Jaco.P = Paco :bassist:
    I got it from Victor Bailey's album 'That's Right' (recommended).