1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jacob, Little Concerto -- harmonics

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by PaulAA, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PaulAA

PaulAA

Mar 20, 2009
    I am trying to figure out a fingering (and what string) to use for the harmonics in the cadenza of Jacob's "Little Concerto." Can you help? I have put an image showing the harmonics here:

http://tinyurl.com/little-conc

Thank you!

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I play those harmonics in the "neck" positions. The 1st A is your tuning note, the next E is on the A string about where C is. The next A is right across on the D, the high C a little higher toward the nut and the highest D on the G string. So the E, A, and D, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th notes in that passage are right across the strings in the same postion since they are fourths apart. Fingering wise, I play 4-2-2-1-2-2. Hope that's not too confusing. Of course you can also play them up past the fingerboard. Glad to hear you are working on this piece. I think Jacob did the concerto a disservice by putting "little" in the title. That seems to suggest it's not a serious work or maybe a student piece and neither are true, IMO.

3. PaulAA

PaulAA

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks very much for the response! I'll give this a try.