1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaime Suarez Austria (1948-2010)

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by fred pratt, Jun 2, 2010.

1. fred pratt

fred pratt Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    Jaime played in the New York City Ballet Orchestra and the American Ballet Theater Orchestra. He played in the pit for the original Broadway production of A Chorus Line --I believe for most if not all of its 6000+ performances!

Jaime strongly believed that music has the power to change the world significantly for the better. Inspired partly by El Sistema in Venezuela and partly by Quincy Jones, Jaime drafted the online petition urging President Obama to appoint a Secretary of the Arts. Read about Jaime and the petition on Quincy Jones' website: http://www.quincyjones.com/archives/894

Jaime raised three children who became wonderful musicians --I've had the priviledge of playing with them. He always encouraged me in my musical endeavors, even --maybe especially-- when I was struggling. His belief in life and in the power of music continue to be an inspiration.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm really sorry to hear this, I knew he was sick, but I didn't know how sick. He was SUCH a great cat, wonderful energy. We had the deepest conversation the first time we met, it was like we had known each other for years.

3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Jamie was amazing. He frequently came to my shows in NYC even though we never really got to know each other too well. Really sweet -- I can't believe he passed before I got to hear him play. :(

He was so deeply into the El Sistema thing -- really inspiring. I miss him and I know the community will, as well.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hey Fred, if you don't think the family will mind, would it be OK to scan and post that note that Joe has, from the memorial? It's pretty amazing.

5. molerio

molerio

Feb 28, 2015

Is this the same Jaime Austria that played with Stardrive?

6. molerio

molerio

Feb 28, 2015
    yes the same Jaime Austria. RIP