1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

James Brown Rhythm Sections

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by honeyboy, Dec 25, 2006.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I was saddened to hear of James Brown's death on Christmas Day. He's been part of my musical history since I was in grade school in the 50's. This past Friday I was working on some of the basslines in his songs using a book called "The Funkmasters- the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections 1960-1973" by Allan Slutsky and Chuck Silverman through Warner Brothers Publications. This comes with a C.D and is written in standard as well as tab notation. This is an invaluable resource for anyone wanting to learn the basslines as well as drumming and guitar info.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought it a few years ago.
    Great book

3. i gotta get that book. james brown is the man. he always had such smoking drummers and bassists.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    James Brown's music influenced everyone, even if they didn't know it. His music and line bass masters in his band influenced whoever you listen to. We all should lift a toast to James tonight!

5. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    +1. Excellent book.

6. I remember Guitar World magazine doing a crappy job of transcribing Sex Machine years ago. This book gets it right.

7. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    And here's the complementary partial video of the song...

Of course it smokes. But you knew that it would.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm, sound like something I need to get a copy of. Thanks for the info.
    Does this book have the bass lines for all the songs listed in the table of contents?

9. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Yes- basslines for every song in the table of contents as well as a C.D. version for each song including drums, guitar(s) and bass separately - very complete!

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    way cool